Who still uses AM/FM radios?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As the titles says, who still uses them?

I think the last time I used one was at our local race track yonks ago in my TT01. :)

They still seem popular.

Who prefers the AM/FM over 2.4ghz and why?

I used to listen to AM 760 while I lived in San Diego. And FM 105.7 is a good SoCal classic rock station.

I see a lot of people selling RC's with them. :D

Maybe they never got around to changing to 2.4ghz. lol
If they are selling it, I'm sure its a "I'm not spending money on this" or its "vintage"

If I'm selling a car, I may include a bottom drawer special 2.4 I'm not gonna spend money on it for someone to change it out.
I used to listen to AM 760 while I lived in San Diego. And FM 105.7 is a good SoCal classic rock station.
😂🤣 I used to be an fm guy. I hardly listen to xm nowadays. Reminds me of the am fm days too much.

The AM/FM being discussed is the old rc radios with the long stainless antennas. You had a 3 foot lightning rod in your finger tips.

Wait the rapper hiphopper is reccomending rock stations? 🤔😁

If they are selling it, I'm sure its a "I'm not spending money on this" or its "vintage"

If I'm selling a car, I may include a bottom drawer special 2.4 I'm not gonna spend money on it for someone to change it out.

😂🤣 I used to be an fm guy. I hardly listen to xm nowadays. Reminds me of the am fm days too much.

The AM/FM being discussed is the old rc radios with the long stainless antennas. You had a 3 foot lightning rod in your finger tips.

Wait the rapper hiphopper is reccomending rock stations? 🤔😁
FM is from my nerd days :cool: but not AM 760 Dennis Prager for life baby lets gooooooooooooooooooo

I use to when I drove a company truck all day!..:banana:
Today's car audio's are very annoying an sound like crap!..🤮

Last edited:
Have two Futaba systems in the stash. One AM. One FM. Hanging onto to them for the day when I finally get around to a resto on my RC drag cars. They will make for a nice vintage touch. The FM actually saw competition use in one of the drag cars back '07-'08. It will make an authentic period resto.

They get taken out and bench tested once or twice yearly.

I think its the radio station and not so much the radio. 🤣

When at work ,I listen to classic rock with Bob & Tom show in the mornings ,an would also
listen to another alternative rock station along with another station that played more heavy stuff ,
so I had 3 great stations to tune too!..:cool:

When at work ,I listen to classic rock with Bob & Tom show in the mornings ,an would also
listen to another alternative rock station along with another station that played more heavy stuff ,
so I had 3 great stations to tune too!..:cool:
I do a YouTube playlist nowadays. Why bother listening to the DJ's playlist when I have literally every song ever created at my fingertips, with no 15-minute ad break at the end of every hour?🤔

I do a YouTube playlist nowadays. Why bother listening to the DJ's playlist when I have literally every song ever created at my fingertips, with no 15-minute ad break at the end of every hour?🤔

I dont listen to too much music ,I dont really care about death metal or hardcore metal ,rap ,an I am burned out on listening
to classic rock as I been listening to it for 45 years an it brings back to many memories!
The music that I post is the music that I enjoy listening to when I wrench & record ,I can use that music when I do wrench
video's because there is no infringement rights on the music!
The only group that I will listen to other than the music that I use in my vids is Tool!..:cool:

nzed0.jpg

🤣🤣🤣🤣

As the titles says, who still uses them?

I think the last time I used one was at our local race track yonks ago in my TT01. :)

They still seem popular.

Who prefers the AM/FM over 2.4ghz and why?
All radios have a purpose. Just like why some people golf ( at say St Andrews ) with wooden clubs. Back in the day, RC clubs had spring clothes clip boards to control, who used what frequencies, airplanes, boats and UGVS were simpler. ESC ? A servo dedicated to speed control had an insulated arm that swiped across the bare wire windings of a wire wound ceramic resistor. Talk about current drain !! Attached are some PIX of AM and FM radios I STILL USE ! The challenge is to RC FLY the way they did SIXTY YEARS AGO or more [ Nikola Tesla's RC Noay 1889 ] ! One of my pictured transmitters is a simple pulse, one button, not digital proportional. The white transmitters are on 72 MHz propo and built by CANON RC. Radios back then we're EXPENSIVE ! A high-end FM rig 4 channel with 4 servos cost as much as a 72 inch plasma TV TODAY ! PIX with the SPITFIRE ? Not sure which vintage radio will go in it. Sort of what I do and feel like when I photograph with my DEARDORFF 8" x 10" plate camera.

Attachments

• Resizer_165255740017011.jpg
    Resizer_165255740017011.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Resizer_16525573709457.jpg
    Resizer_16525573709457.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Resizer_16525573159323.jpg
    Resizer_16525573159323.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Resizer_16525573029201.jpg
    Resizer_16525573029201.jpg