Whitman Marauder Hovercraft Electric Conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
First off, a BIG THANK YOU to robmob for the opportunity to work on this project. This RC was given to him from his father, and I am honored to have it.

This is a Whitman Marauder Nitro Hovercraft and it is 20+ years old. It is currently powered by a .60 O.S. engine and spins a 12x6 prop. Approximately 50% of the prop pushes air downward to fill the "skirt" and give it lift. There is a single servo controlling the rudders and underneath the deck is a clear box containing the radio gear. The dimensions of the hovercraft are 36" long x 16" wide x 14" tall. Weight without fuel is 11.9 lbs.
Pics

447852374_FPSyC-L.jpg

447851833_mb5BN-L.jpg

447851372_Y8Jkj-L.jpg

447853173_fLbF4-L.jpg

447851612_FsVnR-L.jpg

447852879_S4Z4r-L.jpg

447853947_nVkkR-L.jpg

447854214_BQYQw-L.jpg

447853425_ZQvhd-L.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm so drawn to this thing, but I like it. :hehe:

Looks like great material to work with, good luck on the project.

Damn that's the coolest thing since the ice age. :D

The plan today was to start the engine for a test run but it ran into a couple issues. The carb was frozen shut and in trying to open the carb I broke the carb linkage arm. So unfortunately we will not get to see how it ran in it's original form. :(

When applied to planes, the formula for calculating required power when converting nitro to electric is to take nitro engine displacement and multiply times 2000. Since the original engine is a .60, the motor system will need to output at least 1200 watts. I am looking into two propulsion options. I'll need some of you plane guys to chime in for advice.

Option 1 is a single brushless motor/propeller set-up.

Option 2 is to run two EDF (electric ducted fan) units. One for lift and one for forward movement.

Either option will be powered by a Thunder Power 6S 5000mah 25C pack.

448253327_xQknJ-L-0.jpg

Last edited:
SD I know your work is top notch and it'll be done right, but I just can't beleive you're going to do this to vintage item! But I'm going to watch anyway :D

I really can't say much but wow.... :OMG:

I am so looking forward to this project.

Clearly I have passed this rig on to the right person.

Bummer on the frozen carb. Fuel has not been through it for a long long time so I am not surprised. If you want to run it in it's original form. I know there is another one of those complete engines in one of the boxes from my dad. I just have to figure out which one I saw it in. Let me know if you want it and I will look for it.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I will say confidently, when you are done with this, don't let your little girl go chasing after it. Finger stakes for sure! :whhooo:

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I am very excited to be doing a new project in a realm of RC that I have absolutely no experience with. That is the beauty and fun part of our hobby, you can never learn enough about it.

If you want to run it in it's original form. I know there is another one of those complete engines in one of the boxes from my dad. I just have to figure out which one I saw it in. Let me know if you want it and I will look for it.

Only if it's not too much trouble Rob, you have done so much. I owe you big time bro! I would love to run it as a nitro first and get some video. There is very little information on the 'net about this hovercraft, and I would like to be able to add some info about it.

Yeah, after thinking about it, I will say confidently, when you are done with this, don't let your little girl go chasing after it. Finger stakes for sure! :whhooo:

The girls will be safely sitting at least 100 yeards away in our van behind tempered glass when dad runs this rig. I'll have to strap the videocam to my head as it may be difficult to find a camera woman. :hehe:

That thing is too cool to convert to electric!

Did you have to make the skirt or was it not all weather checked from age? What's it made out of? Rubber or something else?

Really cool rig to say the least.

Do you have a savage or revo or something we know so you could do a side by side for comparison of it's size?

Rob I hope you thanked you DAD because he passed down one killer rc!

Option 1 is a single brushless motor/propeller set-up.

Option 2 is to run two EDF (electric ducted fan) units. One for lift and one for forward movement.

Would it be possible to run one EDF for lift and one propped brushless for movement? I don't know much about EDF units but I like the idea of using the full power of one motor for forward movement and one motor for lift instead of one prop doing both jobs. I see dual set ups running on a 4ch stick radio, two throttle sticks, one for lift and one for movement. Same as a heli using one for main rotor and one for tail rotor.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the lift EDF have a locked in throttle setting. That way it would generate lift even if the hovercraft is still. And you wouldn't have to mess with two throttle sticks while operating it.

That thing is too cool to convert to electric!

Did you have to make the skirt or was it not all weather checked from age? What's it made out of? Rubber or something else?

Really cool rig to say the least.

Do you have a savage or revo or something we know so you could do a side by side for comparison of it's size?

I spent a few hours last night doing research and mulling over the decision to convert. It's almost sacrilegious to do the conversion and I am feeling a little guilty about it. Slipping on a 4-stroke engine would be pretty cool too.

The skirt is made of a heavy kite like material and is the original. Amazingly it has not weathered at all from age.

Pic next to Hyper 7 buggy for comparison.

448571473_tDueB-L-2.jpg

With regards to running the EDF units, anything is possible at this point. I would prefer to run my normal pistol radio though and consequently the lift EDF would be mixed in with the propulsion unit and not left as an independent control. The hovercraft brakes by decreasing lift and dragging itself.

One possibility is running two small EDF units for lift and mounting them on a plate...sealing them in the cavity below the motor mount. Run two larger EDFs for propulsion in place of the single motor. Weight is the enemy though, and running something like this will require separate packs and more expensive EDF units with higher thrust.

Last edited:
Found it!

Another complete OS 60 is on its way tomorrow Dom. This one does not appear to have ever had a drop of fuel through it. Carb is good and piston moves freely.

Some additional props and prop nuts are in the box as well.

You should be set for life on the props. :green-grin:

Sweet! I'll start taking off the engine in preparation for the new one. THANK YOU!

Back