Which servo type should I get

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajac63

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Just thinking what servo to get for my boat build, ideally waterproofed. Pic shows type of rudder I have in mind and it's approximate size.

ruddrPic.png

Just thinking what servo to get for my boat build, ideally waterproofed. Pic shows type of rudder I have in mind and it's approximate size.

Back in the day when I had boats ,I only had to use a standard Futaba 148 's servo ,other than the todays new waterproof servo's ,
I don't think that you need a high output servo for a rudder or turn fin ,but might want one with faster speed response!

Back in the day when I had boats ,I only had to use a standard Futaba 148 's servo ,other than the todays new waterproof servo's ,
I don't think that you need a high output servo for a rudder or turn fin ,but might want one with faster speed response!
Thanks for mentioning Futaba. A RTR boat setup I had some years ago had one and I never had any issues with it. The completely new scratch build I'm working on now won't be a racing boat, so won't need very sudden or hard turns - as long as it enables a stable and smooth turn, that's my main consideration; the other is that the height of the servo plus servo arm is 20mm less than the height of the rudder tube.

Thanks for mentioning Futaba. A RTR boat setup I had some years ago had one and I never had any issues with it. The completely new scratch build I'm working on now won't be a racing boat, so won't need very sudden or hard turns - as long as it enables a stable and smooth turn, that's my main consideration; the other is that the height of the servo plus servo arm is 20mm less than the height of the rudder tube.

They make low profile servo's!