Which Hpi Engine to choose.. Need help here guys.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McoupeRS4EVO

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Basically I have a RS4 EVO RTR. I have the 15 TE and I'm pretty sure i need a piston and sleeve. but I'm thinking of taking advantage of the HPI engine exchange program.

basically. you know my car. now tell me which of these engines would be best for me. I want speed and accel.

1. buy piston and sleeve for 15 TE
2. Nitro Star 15SS
3 .Nitro Star 12R SC
4. Nitro Star 15SC
5. Nitro Star 12R SS
6. Nitro Star K4.6 (tell me if it fits properly)
7. Buy a different engine for a resonable price.(list examples.)

thanx guys it would really help me for this information.

Doesn't HPI have a .18 from the rs4 .18 ss or something like that? That would fit with no mods.

Ok, my thoughts. First off, dump the idea of the K4.6. Won't fit. Secondly, the .15SS and SC are the same. One has a rotory carb, one has slide carb. General opinion is that slide carbs are more responsive in on-road rides but I'm not sure how big of a difference it makes. Plus, the .15SC doesn't have a pull start so you'd need a starter box. They are rated at 0.7 hp. Fair but not huge.
The .12SS and SC are again the same engine with different carbs. HPI claims over 1hp on both of these and they both have pull starters.
I guess if you're a basher mostly and you're looking to be the fast guy across the parking lot, I'd consider the .12s because they appear to have a bit more power. They're pullstart. A direct fit for the most part. You may have to get a slide carb linkage kit if you go with the SC version. And you can get them cheaper than a different engine through the engine exchange. My :2cents:

ok so i have slide carb linkage i bought it a while ago. so your saying my best bet is a .12 SC?

Also, you seem knowledgeable on the subject.. So should i stay with stock gearing or change it up a bit.

I'm racing against 4 of my friends.. all of us having evo's

what do you recomend exaust. intake, anything you can immediatly think of to get me some power.

also... I'm having alignment issues. not with the front wheels exactly.. its not a trim problem its not a loose "something " it seems as though my front and rear diffs are tweaked . my rear wheels are no longer straight. the diff is straight.. but the wheels on both sides are cockeyed. any easy fix to this.

I'm not totally familiar with the EVO setup. I have the RS4 3 RTR. I assume the EVO comes with adjustable turnbuckles on the front and rear. If your steering is centered but your wheels are at odd angles, then you'll need to adjust the turnbuckles. For stability, a lot of people run their front end so that each wheel tilts in about 1 degree. It's kinda hard to do that by eye but just make sure they look straight if not turned in just ever so slightly.
Based on the specs, that .12 looks good. I'm running my basic .15 FE right now, but will be swapping it for an OS .15 CVR-X soon enough. Of those choices you gave, I do like the looks of the .12SC. Seems to have reasonable specs. And just looking, they do offer the .18SS which is supposed to be a real powerhouse so that's an option.

Ooops. Just noticed for whatever reason they don't offer the .18 in the exchange program. Weird.

but the stock engine on the hpi rs4 evo the 15t or something hpi claims its 1.2hp, so how can the .12engine be faster??

more RPM?

Engine size doesn't necessarily mean more power, the engineering in the engine makes the power.

i see,

whats the legal engine size for ROAR racings?
is it .12?

Don't know about the ROAR limit, but IMO, if you're considering going with an alternate engine manufacturer, I'd go with the OS .15 CVR-X. I replaced my .15 FE with this mill in my RS4 MT and it was night and day different! It also holds a tune better than the FE did, which gets me running faster than having to fart around dialing it in.

As for gearing, it depends on what it is you're looking for. I just added a 12/15 clutchbell with 49/52 drive gears. Lost a bit on the low end, but top end speed is unreal! f you are running a 1M (1 metric) pitch 2-speed, there are dozens of gear combos you can try. HPI's site might have a gearing chart as well.

Good luck!

I would go with a o.s engine. HPI overclains on there hp ratings . The .18 cv-r(x) will have a ton of balls and costs 100$ or so on Tower. The .12 cv-r(x) is also good. O.S Engines are very reliable, tuner friendly , cost wise is great. You can't go wrong on those.

I have had really good luck with my Fantom FR15 engine in my Nitro MT. Radar clocked at 43mph with stock gearing. I can just imagine what a 2 speed would let it do.

@1500valk, where did you get your fantom engine, towerhobbies dont have them, any links???
thanks

I agree, But Id go the Fantom Fr12 instead of the Fr15. Check them out on www.RushRc.com That was the mill I was always going to get for my Rs4. Also ya can't go wrong with a O.s. mill. And yeah, usually the .12 are faster than the .15 in touring cars.

I never even thought that Rush carried the Fantom engines... interesting to know if I am ever looking for one. I found my FR15 to be easy to tune, holds a tune, and pretty darn powerful.

even though the .15 has more power to it than the .12, so the .12 is still faster?

nice nice

guys first off thanx for all the replies in such a short amount of time.

ok so I'm understanding in most experianced eyes a .12 is infact better than a .15 for a tourning car.. but how does that .12 stack up against an .18?

18 cv-r(x)
.15 CVR-X.
.12 cv-r(x)

well I'm definatly going to research these engines a bit more.. I dont mind spending money. But i was pretty much on the verge of selling this car.. Now I'm thinking if I
drop a ton of money on it over winter and actually take car of it that i may keep it.

Well I got a lot of poop to do with this car. ill post pics of the car and body soon time.

Engine-FR12 `05 Turbo .12 with slide carb and pullstart definatly looking good right now

Make sure that Fantom is a standord crank!! The last i looked those were sg cranks(05) .. The Evo needs a standard crank.

lol oh poop... thanks alot for that... whats sg stand for>?

yea whats the sg stands for, I've been seeing it around lol
and dont know what it means lol

Back