which helicopter should i get?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've been thinking a lot lately. i have every kind of rc but a helicopter now. so I'm thinking about getting a helicopter and delaying getting a savage for a while because heli's look pretty cool. anyway, would the blade cp or the blade cx be a better beginner heli? the cp looks more like a real chopper than the cx. is there no major difference in the two so it doesn't matter except the cp can be upgraded to do inverted flight?. i havent seen the cx go inverted.

The CX can't go inverted. It sounds like you are a newbie to heli's. I suggest the CX or CX2.. They are basically the same except for the radio that it comes with. I just recently got one and I've been having fun with it. The only problem is because of the holiday season most of the more popular replacement parts are sold out everywhere I go.. It's pissin me off cuz my lower head is busted and I've been to two hobby shops this weekend and neither one will have the parts till the end of the month

i was talking about the cp not the cp pro if you were thinking that, the info on the cp says that its for beginners too

I've never tried to fly the CP so I can't really say how beginner friendly it is. I have about 1.5 hours of flight time on my CX and I've started to fly circles and figure eights in my living room.

ok then ill look at that one too i like the cx2

The cp is more intermediate. But I would suggest getting the CX2 as Lessen said. and if you really want to get the CP spend the $30ish more and get the pro. you will be getting about $100 more in stuff. Like the lipo battery and cooling fins and the bell-hiller mixing thing, that is what makes the heli go inverted and makes the heli harder to fly. But you can by the parts that take out the bell-hiller parts and that will make the Pro like the CP for around $8.

so is the cp really that much harder to fly than the cx?

I had the CP Pro for a few weeks and it is a much better value than the CP. BUT, I also sold the Pro because I lacked the time and energy required to learn how to fly it. There is a steep learning curve with any of these non-dual counter rotating bladed helis. You will be constantly on the sticks, and the amount of stick movement is very small and precise. It is not at all like driving a car, there is very little room for error. Crashes will be expensive, prepare to spend at least $1-200 in blades and parts for your first few crashes. A flight simulator will help your learning progression but is no guarantee that it will make you a great pilot. If you have the time and patience to learn, the type of flying that you can do with the CP type heli is much more rewarding than a dual counter rotating bladed heli.

I now have the CX2 and it is perfect for the indoor flying that I do. It is a good way to get a taste of helis without breaking the bank. It offers enough of a challenge when flying in a small space and the parts are inexpensive to replace in comparison to the CP/CP Pro.

Another nice counter rotating blade heli is the bladerunner/ or sky shadow "clone". It costs about $50 and is nearly indestructible. It flies forward, backward and spins left and right. It's blades have a safety ring around them so they bounce of walls and furniture. Here is a vid of mine.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44041

Last edited:
yea, i think i like the blade but ill read up on both, i dont think ill go with the cp or cp pro for my 1st, it does sound harder. are there any major differences between the handling of the cx2 and this bladerunner?

how long to the batteries last on these things, and do they come with quick chargers, or stupid 10 hour chargers

Both heli's come with a "1 hour" charger. On the CX2, actual charges take about 1.5 hours to complete. On the BR/SS it takes about 30-45 minutes to complete. The CX2 will run approximately 10-12 minutes on a pack, and the BR/SS will run about 8-10 minutes on a charge.

The CX2 can move sideways/diagonally, while the BR/SS cannot. Also forward/backward flight is much faster on the CX2.

i think ill spend the extramoney maybe to get the cx2

wiat you said you have the cx2 right? and the bladerunner, which do you prefer?

its says the cx and the cx2 have LiPo batteries they come with. thats good

right, it does come with the LiPo's correct? I'm not just reading it wrong

i think ill spend the extramoney maybe to get the cx2

wiat you said you have the cx2 right? and the bladerunner, which do you prefer?

its says the cx and the cx2 have LiPo batteries they come with. thats good

The CX2 IS the choice for a begginer that wants to have some real fun. I just SOLD a CP PRO as I, like Sweet, do not have the time or the cash to learn how to fly one right now.....notice I say right now.......some day I will buy the cx2 or equivelant and get the basics down and then step up to a TREX 450 or something like that and learn how to really a heli fly.

But for a starter heli, I would stay away from CP rigs for now.....you will just be frustrated and poor.

Cheers! :duff:

ok...now i hav to save up again

Well, may as well throw in my thoughts on the CP line. I had one and totally hated it! I've been flying .30 nitro heli's for about 3 years now I guess. I'm an established pilot, by that I mean I can do basic flight with a hint of a trick here and there.(nothing fancy) Anyways, after flying for about a year or so, i decided to get the CP for indoor flight at work. I had MAJOR trouble with it. Wasn't stable at all, very twitchy, and I was flying indoors. I would not recommend that heli to anyone.

The CX2 on the other hand is an awesome flying machine for newbs. I've not owned one but have had a little air time with one. Very smooth and stable, plus it comes with the Spektrum radio. It's completely ready to go out of the box. Charge the Li-Po it comes with and your ready.

As mentioned, a simulator would be the best way to get the "feel" of a heli, but, not always an option for some people. I know I'd love to have the G3.5 but I'll have to wait until I save some more money.

Bottom line is the CX2, in my opinion, would be the best bang for the buck. Something you can learn on and it won't break the bank in the process.

Enjoy the flying!!

-Nitro

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks forall the info, I am interested in getting into heli's and the cx2 was one I am considering, also looking at the Axe Micro from Heli-Max it's got all the training gear and DVD, also a 5 channel transmitter, any thought's on this versus the cx2? (I was thinking about the blade cp pro, but am reconsidering;)

i have a cp and it think it is the best around after you learn the cp if you decide to go to nitro heli. then it would be easier on you. And it is not like drivin a car lol i found that out the hard way (dam i hate gravity)

On the CX2, actual charges take about 1.5 hours to complete.

Man I've been hearing a lot of crap about the new CX chargers, sounds like something up there, my CX packs charge in about 45-50 minutes. I have two eFlite balancers and connect them to a 15 amp DC power supply, they are the ones from last year (chargers.)

Both CX and BCP here, start with the CX. The CP requires a lot more input just to keep it in a hover, and you'll spend enough money breaking the CX to know you're having fun. :D

The counter rotating blades of a CX or a Llama stablize it so you can get it up to altitude and just let go of the sticks, it will hover there on it's own if it's set up right. Try that with a single rotor heli and all youll get is a walk back to the repair bench.

While I agree the BCP's are a good heli to begin with, as collective pitch helis go they are not good for a beginner. They are extremely light and this makes them nowhere near as stable as a heavier bird, like the Trex or a nitro. They are easily pushed around by air currents and the slightest movement on the stick equates to a big change in flight. This makes it much more difficult to learn.

The offset to that, parts are a lot less expensive and you can afford more crashes. :D

My friend has both the cx2, and the cp pro, the cp pro is way harder to fly, and parts are 4x's as much. my 2cents

4x as much . . . as a CX. Compared to a serious bird like the .Rex or a nitro, CP parts are far less expensive.

Back