Where exactly do I measure temp when tuning?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-maxxJared

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I got my t-maxx a few days ago and have broke it in already, and I have a raytek digital temp gun. On the traxxas video and directions, it says to not let the motor exceed 270* at the glow plug. Well, on mine, it runs about 225-240 when you take the temp directly from the glow plug, and about 260 when you measure on the head down the hole where the glow plug is. Here's what worries me. When you are looking at the factory head, there are 5 little holes that go from the top, down, that look like they are where the screws go that hold the head on. If I shine my temp gun down there, it reads 280-290 when the truck has been ran for about 8-10 minutes. Which one of these numbers should I be going by? I am more interested in tuning safely, as this truck is a blast and has more than enough power out of the box. By the way, The low speed needle is at the factory setting, and the high speed needle has been leaned 1/8 of a turn, and I run traxxas 20% top fuel. Thanks,
Jared Williamson

Glow plug is ideal.

so even if the other 2 numbers are higher than 270, it is still safe as long as the glow plug is under that? Do the other 2 mean anything to be concerned about, or are they irrelevant to what I am doing when tuning the truck? Thanks for your patience, I am on a learning curve.

Jared, your good. However, the tuning will change everytime you run it mostly due to weather changes. Always check the motor at warm up and after some hard running. Checking the glow plug hole is considered the most acceptable way.

try and avg the readings ang go by that....you need to do a few upgrades to your maxx early in the game to make it last.....first is the cooling head...get that big honker ACnC head....will make your tune way more stable....also the shocks pistons like in your other post and RPM arms.....the stock ones work but will break easy...I broke one RPM arm ever....and if you saw the jump it was on you'd understand why....LOL....

Back