Wheely king?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8z2luze

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What was the wheely king originally intended for? I know people turn them into crawlers but were they supposed to be that or just another electric MT?

Wheelies man!!!

Actually, I have no idea so I'll shut up now. :D
I know after watching that video of one crawling, I'd like to get one.

It's just a 4x4 mt thats a blast to drive and tough as nails!

its kinda obvious that its intended for wheelys and bashing seems how it is called the wheely king

Aye, it was originally designed as a bashing, jumping and wheelying truck for general RC goofing about. Great fun and like SMaxxin says they are a blast to drive. I originally went for converting mine to a crawler but stopped and bought a Axial AX-10 instead (glad I did too).

I've lowered the suspension on mine by sleeving the inside part of the shock shaft, dropped it back on the stock (soon to be alu plated) chassis and kept the Traxxas links from the crawler conversion as they are tougher than the plastic HPI ones, which give it a longer wheelsbase. I also plan on fitting a nice Holmes Hobbies 35T hand-wound motor in mine, and using a decent LiPo or A123 pack on it. I also bolted a big bash plate to the front axle. With the longer Wheelbase and lower ride it's got a finny kinda 'squatted' appearance now, from above it looks kinda like a pumped Stadium Truck rather than an MT. The proportions aren't a million miles from an E-Savage.

I'm considering pulling out the diff-locks too. I'm really up for turning mine into a basher, as my AX-10 will do everything I need on the rocks now, and sometimes going slow just isn't the ticket, you gotta go vent off from time to time and go blow off a couple of stick packs blasting around.

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know if you can get spacers to widen the track width on WK axles?

Last edited:
The first Wheeile King was 2WD like the Stampede, and I have no idea why they changed them.
Unless you are going to hop them up like a certain someones FrankenKing on this forum, they are useless. I ran mine for about 3 minutes before I put it away to await a high turn brushless setup. I have the diff centres from the nitro MT that APPARENTLY fit straight into them. All steel and brushless ready.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXURL2&P=OW

Last edited:
The first Wheeile King was 2WD like the Stampede, and I have no idea why they changed them.

I'm guessing lots of people asked for 4WD, so they made it. They always offered a 4WD upgrade kit for it anyway. The transmission always did have the front output, the truck just had no prop or front diff in the axle.

I think also they put out a 4WD version for the people wanting to convert it to a rock crawler (it doesn't work that well unless you spend a crap-load on it though).

Unless you are going to hop them up like a certain someones FrankenKing on this forum, they are useless. I ran mine for about 3 minutes before I put it away to await a high turn brushless setup. I have the diff centres from the nitro MT that APPARENTLY fit straight into them. All steel and brushless ready.

That's pretty much my MO. Fit some nice shiny parts, trick it out and make it go fast. I'm not gonna chuck a lot of money at it, but I'll certainly make it respectable.

I found some HPI 12mm spacers from a UK supplier, but thanks for the note anyhoo :)