wheel well ideas - to do or not to do.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babi_hrse

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Right so I took my HPI RS4 nitro car out tonight after work, it was raining heavily before I got the car set up. The car has indicators, brake lights and headlights so I can still see where it is in the dark and it looks damn impressive. While I was havin' tons of fun drifting on the rain soaked ground. :D after a couple of mins I was worried about the tyres splashing water into the electrical conponents causing a short circuit in the car and having it run out of control. Luckily for me the car stalled and while I was walking over to restart the engine, the electrics gave out.:whhooo: lucky timing.
I discovered there was water sprayed all over the inside of the car, after drying out it works again.
But I wanted to know should I make wheel wells to capture the water that flies off the tyres and how should I go about making it.
I was thinking polystyrene blocks carved around the wheel or should I get aluminum sheet and duct tape it the the wheel arches. I've looked around and it seems nobody has done this to my knowledge or at least documented it nor is there a kit for sale for this type of thing. So I wonder is it a foolish task to embark on?

I realise I can waterproof the car but I'd much prefer the water stayed out of the inside for the benefit of the air filter and to stop the inside getting murky.

Your thoughts?:)

Any where you block water, your blocking air flow to the engine. Water proofing the electronics is probably the best way to go.

does air come in through the wheel wells.
would the hole in through the windshield not be adequate?
would wd40 be sufficient to waterproof it?

Since its a drifter, not alot of air flow comes into the rig, so closing off the bottom of the car with a jerry rigged floor pan, you will run hotter temps and could fry your engine.

If I were you, seal your electronic boxes to your rx area and or servo boxes, if not the servos invest in some WP ones. You can get your rig pretty water resistant, but not proof.

If all else fails, Plasti-Dip your parts...

No WD-40 wont do.

I agree....Waterproof the electronics and just deal with the clean up.....dont block any possible air flow....especially on a nitro drifter. if theres enough water getting up inside the chassis to make it murky Id be more worried about my block than the clean up :)

thanks for the advice lads ill settle for coating the electricals in silicon. i just knew i had to ask when i couldn't see anything like this for sale. ya's probably saved me having to buy a new engine next week.

Back