whats up with my buggy? acting really really wierd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro_desert

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i just got back my hyper 8 with mach.28 engine from the hobby store...i had him put diff oil but dont know how thick..suspension oil and throttle and steering heavy duty servos... i just started it up but it was acting real wierd...it wont go to any high rpm...its like there is a rev limiter on it..it just stays on one rpm even with the wheels off the ground...kinda sad because i can't reach to top speeds...so is it from the diff oil or the servo??? and hey it wont start up after my run.. i use a tourqe start and i can hear it cracking(firing up) when i spin the flywheel but when i move a way the starter it stops? is it lsn or idle or what? help.. i gotta race in a little while

Have you taken the airfilter off with the engine off and looked inside to be sure that carb slide is opening all the way when you work the throttle? If not you might need to re-center the throttle servo, or make linkage adjustments.

i guess its lsn because i leaned out the hsn and got to the high rpm but bad acceleration..

yo now i got a problem with my glow starter...i charged it all day but it wont light up the plug! i know its not from the plug cause its new

always keep a d cell spare igniter i always had mine go dead on me when i out bashing somewhere just to finish my day there frustrating

It doesn't matter if your plug is new. A really bad tune can kill one pretty quick.
Set you HSN to factory specs. Start the engine and let it warm up. Now, adjust your LSN and idle screw till you get a good idle and a good take off. When the take off is good, start adjusting the HSN for WOT. Always monitor the temps when changing the tune.

yo now i got a problem with my glow starter...i charged it all day but it wont light up the plug! i know its not from the plug cause its new

When you say it's a new plug, do you mean 'never been installed in the cooling head new'? That's the only kind of plug you want to test your igniter with. I've had one go bad on the first tank of fuel it saw. On the other hand, I had one last for over a gallon and a half of fuel.

new as in one tank...it wont even light up a bit.. i think its from the glowstarter cause when a plug goes bad on me the engine keeps running until i take off the glow starter

that sounds like a bad plug. if it runs with the glowstarter, then quits without it, its usually the plug

An engine running with the glow igniter on, but quitting when you take it off, can also be the sign of running way too rich.

new as in one tank...it wont even light up a bit.. i think its from the glowstarter cause when a plug goes bad on me the engine keeps running until i take off the glow starter

I would think the chances are the glow plug went bad. Unless your glow starter is old and been recharged a hundred times, I'd suspect it's the glow plug.

the plug looks new to me..no wear and the coil looks alright...the glow starter isnt that old too...charged fully maybe 9 times but i sometimes i charge it for an hour when it dies up on when I'm out bashing...does that wreck it?

soo guys thanx for all ur help but one more Q...how do i know if my glow igniter is working?

Touch it to your tongue. All you need to do is put a good plug in it. If it lights the plug its working.

the plug looks new to me..no wear and the coil looks alright...the glow starter isnt that old too...charged fully maybe 9 times but i sometimes i charge it for an hour when it dies up on when I'm out bashing...does that wreck it?

I've seen a brand new out of package plug not work. Doesn't matter what it looks like, they can fail in ways that can't be seen. Granted, when most fail, there is some visible signs, just not ALL the time.

when a plug goes bad on me the engine keeps running until i take off the glow starter

When a plug goes bad, the engine will not run at all. If it runs with the ignitor on, then it stays hot enough to provide ignition. If it quits as soon as you take the ignitor off, then it's too rich, and the excess fuel is cooling the filament and drowning out the source of ignition.
A bad plug will have a broken filament, and just like a light bulb, it will not light up at all since there is no longer a connection between the positive and the negative.

hahaha turned out to be a bad plug..changed to a new plug..tuned my lsn and hsn..finished a tank and the plug went bad again!! grr...well todays bashing was crazy! i did a lot of WOT and some high jumps..last thing i did before the plug failed was i jumped..caught some huge air landed well but the battery holder broke..grr! i reved the engine once with my hand then let it idle till it dies...it stayed for 9-15 seconds then reved up and died.. did that kill the plug? the long idle?

Back