What's the best glue for glueing tires. And Best Procedure?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverSurfer

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey
whats the best glue for glueing tires and what lasts the longest. And what are the steps to go through when glueing tires?
Thanks
Matt

poop, I just use regular Crazy glue! Works great for me. Never had a tire rip off! I just take my time when I glue tires. Go slow, a little goes a long way! I usually place a rubber band around the tire to keep it adheared to the rim. Let it sit up over night before running it. I usually check my tires after every bash session. If I notice a slight lift on the tire, I just add a little Crazy glue. I say screw spending $7 - $10 USD on a small bottle of what they call CA glue! Just my .02

Woody

Yes, CA, thin or medium. The thin flows easier, but the medium gives you a bit more time to set the bead. It's 8 to 10 dollars at the hobby shop.
Also, I agree with woody, let it sit overnight. I've NEVER had one come loose. The guy that owns the LHS glues tires and lets them run them right away. Eventually, they all start to peel away, causing the wheel to go off balance.

i like that Dynamite Quick Stick tire glue works very well!

hey so those glues are like your super super glues. ( the ones in the really small tubes) i dont have those brand in Australia so i dont know those brands sorry :shrug:

yes thats right ca= super glue but make sure you dont get it to thick Loctite 406 i think is quite a good one please dont quote the number though i might be wrong but y not buy pre glued tyres there only about $2 bucks more and they normall last longer cause the glue doesn't break and there pretty well balanced so you wont end up wearing your arms as quick, can get most brands pre glued in dif compounds and insert soft/firmness

yeh $2 thats siic over here everything wheels and tires is pretty expensive. know any good sites?

There are several brands of Tire Glue on the market. They are made of CA Glue that has rubber in it. They are black in color to help keep everything looking nice.

It is extremely important to clean all the mating surfaces well. Use some DA on a clean rag and clean everything 2-3 times. During the manufacturing process they use oils in the molds to keep the parts from sticking. This oil will keep the glues from sticking to the parts. Again, its extremely important to clean the oils off on all the mating surfaces.

I like to first tack the tires on in 4-6 places on both sides first. This will help you get everything aliened properly. If you mess up its easy to remove it and try again. After doing that and letting them dry I will go back and slowly create a solid seal around the entire tire.

Sometimes it takes a long time for the glue to dry or it wont dry at all due to the fact that the glue isn't exposed to the air. There are several brands of CA Accelerators on the market. Just a little drop or spray and it cures in no time.

Hope this helps.

thanks for that i've got a pretty good idea now

what do you guys do when your wheels start to peel? how do you get it back on to glue it. and then i should seal it again.

I love pre-glued tires, other than that what Ed said.

yeah night mare showed me an alternative to the road rage tires which are premounted might try them

Acetone works best to clean tires for a re-glue job.

The Black CA is what they Loctite calls "toughened". It has black rubber in it, to give it some flexibility.

I prefer Loctite over "super glue" Drug store super glue has too much acid in it, so it lasts on the shelf for up to a year.

I went to a free Loctite seminar, so now I'm an "expert" with a bag full of free stuff. The sales guy kept asking to see the aluminum to rubber isstallation project I was working on. I told him it was for a rubber seal to an aluminum box!!

aluminum to rubber install huh? why not just tell him its for RC its a market that Locktite hasnt really touched yet with thier glue afaik. they alreay have the product, they just need to market it. of course i could just be a fool who hasnt seen the ads yet too.

Alumnium to rubber how are you doing that and what to?

Loctite already goes after soem consumer products with some of their re-branded items.

I'm gluing tires, 6061 aluminum to rubber tires. I'm using a loctite primer #770 first, then loctite 454 for a gel. Sometimes I use a thinner CA if I find a problem later.

I use a very easy metthod with medium CA. After cleaning off any oils, mount the tires, making sure you have them in the grooves. Now, looking down at the tread, grab one sideand pull back enough that you can clearly see about an in ch of the groove in front of you. You should also be able to see it is pulling out of the groove about half way around but in such a way as it will fall back into the groove as soon as you let go. Practice a bit before putting in glue. Once you ready, pour some glue in on top and let it slide down both sides. Use just enough for it to go down half way each side. Take your time because it will not set yet. Now turn it and do the other half of that side the same way. You may even notice it has poured more than half way around and that's ok. I usually start with the fronts, do all 4, let them sit for 10 minutes or longer and then do the backs. I have run them 15 minutes aftwards without a problem. Anyone who has seen me race my Savage knows I am far from gentle with it and go ballz out...never had a tire come unglued using this method.

nice that seems easy enough. :)

Buncrana said:
I use a very easy metthod with medium CA. After cleaning off any oils, mount the tires, making sure you have them in the grooves. Now, looking down at the tread, grab one sideand pull back enough that you can clearly see about an in ch of the groove in front of you. You should also be able to see it is pulling out of the groove about half way around but in such a way as it will fall back into the groove as soon as you let go. Practice a bit before putting in glue. Once you ready, pour some glue in on top and let it slide down both sides. Use just enough for it to go down half way each side. Take your time because it will not set yet. Now turn it and do the other half of that side the same way. You may even notice it has poured more than half way around and that's ok. I usually start with the fronts, do all 4, let them sit for 10 minutes or longer and then do the backs. I have run them 15 minutes aftwards without a problem. Anyone who has seen me race my Savage knows I am far from gentle with it and go ballz out...never had a tire come unglued using this method.
You can do this and then put the wheel in a press or vice for half an hour between wood just to make sure the rubber is pushed fully in