What's a good beginner rc nitro, had Redcat Shockwave

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThiagoDelima

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone,
What Is a good 1/10 beginner car, I have my first (Redcat shockwave) but I can already see its of poor quality & have had 2 pieces brake on me and its a while for the parts to come.
Please advise me on a good Buggy or truggy, as I would like to drive it on and off road.
I would like to spend no more tan $500. Thanks

Last edited:
$500 will get you a good rig for sure. Stick with the top brands, especially for nitro. Traxxas, HPI, Losi. In my opinion, stay away from a tmaxx even though its one of the most bought beginner rigs.
The Savage 4.6 rtr with 2.4 radio and Non 2.4 Savage 4.6 are very popular and have good ratings for being durable for a monster truck.

Heres a nice Kyosho rtr buggy too that I've read good reviews on for a 1/10 buggy.

And in short course trucks, the Traxxas Slayer is popular for a nitro SC truck in 4wd.

Buggy or truggy

Not sure if I'm looking to go full monster truck yet, looking for either a buggy or truggy, 1/8 or 1/10 with all wheel drive. What is a good brand or specific car. Thanks

Last edited:
The Traxxas Revo will give you more of the "truggy" type vehicle that you may be looking for but from everything I have heard Slowgreen is right. The Savage X 4.6 is probably the most durable MT ever made. Do you have a LHS close by and if so Who do they stock parts for most? Its typically a convienience to have a hobby shop close to home that will stock what you need in case you ever break something or want to upgrade something.

Personally my top 5 nitro's:

Traxxas Tmaxx (Pretty modded cause I think they suck stock)
Associated MGT 4.6 (The 8.0 is a dog)
HPI MT2
Associated NTC4 (Onroad)
HPI Savage X (Its on the list as my next nittro buy from everything I've read/heard about them)

Last edited:
If you want to off road and not just strictly off road in the dirt but on grass as well stay away from a buggy. I personally love my mt, I've got a losi aftershock but the losi xxl is even better. The savage is great to from what I've heard as well, I'm trying to sell my aftershock as I'm pretty sure it's being discontinued and if I sell it I'm going for a savage not sure if I'm going to go with the flux or the 4.6. I personally really like the trophy truggy as well but I'd prefer the flux for that, but with that you have to factor in batteries and a good charger too and thatwould put you over $500.

Well I can only vouch for monster trucks as thats all I have owned.

Savage XL - Tough as nails and can take almost any abuse you could ever give it. Handles like a tank and can be tough to work on until you get the hang of it.

Savage Flux - Crazy fast on 6s but needs a few upgrades to even be runnable out of the box on 6s. Stick to 4s and it is tough as hell and still has more power than any nitro MT on the market.

Traxxas T-Maxx - Fragile to the point of being almost unusable straight out of the box. Requires a ton of mods to even be a decent basher and even then can't hold up to the level of the savage.

Traxxas Revo - Tougher than the Tmaxx out of the box but still needs a ton of upgrades to be a good reliable basher. Seems to work best as a truggy style setup and not a big air hardcore basher.

Those are the trucks I personally have experience with but I am sure there are other good options as well.

ofna ultra lx2...hpi trophy 4.6 truggy. personally i like the revo. i like to upgrade an work on my vehicles. only broke one thing on my revo and that was the tranny. and its over 5 years old. hpi truggy is an awesome rig. big, fast and takes a beating. ofna lx2 nitro is another one. great buggy for under $300. just replace steering servo an throw the transmitter an receiver in the garbage

OFNA Ultra LX2 or Hyper 7 are good 1/8 scale bashing buggies and The Losi Ten T is a good 1/10 scale Truggy to bash but 1/10 scale truggies arent real common so after market hop ups may be a little difficult to find. Good 1/8 Scale truggies arehard to find RTR for less than $500.

After much research I ended up going with the HPI savage x4.6 big block, it seems to be the most liked. Any ideas about some extra parts I should have or cool upgrades that can be done.
Thanks guys

Found my hpi savage x 4.6 big block at a really good price on amazon, under 500. Seems like a good deal as the msrp is over 800. Can't wait. Will keep my Redcat shockwave as a smaller option so my son can start getting the hang of them, as he seems to really like them as we'll. thanks all for your advice, will make more threads once I start rolling.