What tuned pipe are you running??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supradude26

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What tuned pipes are you guys running?? There doesn't seem to be many choices that have the air line fitting on the opposite side as the stinger like the stock Savage pipes, not that it really matters though. I smashed mine up pretty good a while back and need to get a new one. I like the look of the rear exit ones that are available, I think there are two companies that make them but I would have to fabricate a longer coupler as they are not made for the XL chassis, and I figure that they probably don't perform quite as well as the standard style as they are more of a novelty piece. The stock polished pipe that came with the truck seemed pretty good, but I was aso considering the "ribbed" HPI pipe. Has anyone compared the two? The only thing that I (and my neighbors) didn't like about the stocker is that it was WAY louder than any of the 20 or so other pipes/engine combos I've owned. I am currently running the OS .30VG. I'll probably throw my Rex pipe on that came off one of my other rigs in the mean time and see how that does... Any other suggestions??

If your neighbors did not like the HPI Polished, they'll really love the ribbed pipe! The ribbed is by far the loudest pipe I have owned. I ran one on a Mach.26 in a Savage, Buttloads of torque from bottom to mid, after that the power fell off.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFR8&P=0
This is a good pipe from word of mouth on Savage-Central, no personal experience.
My buddy runs this pipe on his Modded LRP .28 , a bit quieter than the HPI polished and a broader smoother powerband.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEAR7&P=0
I just usually run the HPI Polished, except when I had STS engines. I used their 0702 pipe. It was good performer on the STS .30 no doubt.
I like all the Losi pipes, like the 007 pipe and the Hi-Torque pipe
If you have a one piece header these would bolt right up.
http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/in...pipe&Ntt=LST2+tuned+pipe&N=0&sid=11F02B14EDBB
Don't waste your money on a rear exhaust, they are not true tuned pipes and will kill performance. I have not met one person who liked theirs except for shelf queeners.

Scrogg is dead on with the ribbed pipe. Louder by far than the HPI polished, low end is great, high end is not so great. Tends to make the engine run a bit warmer than usual.

It will maybe require a heavier coupler to use, but the Losi HT pipe is currently my favorite on my aftershock with an LRP28. I was running the HPI polished on it, but I figured I'd try something else because the HPI pipe on the LRP made for a muddy center RPM range that I couldn't completely tune out. Gave good low end power and high end power, but the muddy center got on my nerves.

Installed the Losi HT pipe (bought it used for $15) and couldn't be happier. The first thing I noticed was how much quieter it was, especially with an exhaust deflector (the HPI pipe had one as well). The power delivery is also more smooth through the entire RPM range, and no more muddy in the center! A little less torquey off the line, but with the LRP, that just gave me better control. Seems to wind out more and better now though as well. Took me a bit to get the tune right on the engine, much leaner than with the HPI pipe, so my run time is better, but my engine runs cooler (15-20 degrees on average).

It's a two piece type pipe where you use a header with springs/silicone gasket to connect the header to the pipe. I use an aftershock header (like the stock savage header, requires a coupler) but I use heavy duty nylon reinforced silicone tubing. Works great and have yet to have the tubing come loose or tear. I plan on getting another pipe like it for my savage. I just really realized how much I don't care for the noise.

I'm running the Fantom steel pipe on my Savage. Better than the stock but haven't used any others to compare it to.

Side Note: Olds, I'll sell you a Losi HT pipe if you're interested. I have 2.

Anybody remember or know what brand pipes it is that look like a black bananna?
I bought one used and really liked it, it sounded like a MX 2-stroke pipe. They performed great too. Loud as hell, worse than the ribbed actually, but it was a sweet sound.
I quit using it because it was so heavy it would not stay on the truck if I jumped it.
It's bugging me trying to remember the brand. It was not Mac's btw.

That's it! Thanks, it was bugging the heck out of me! Ugly as sin, but sounded/performed great.

Back