What should I do to my slash to make it durable for the track and fast against 4x4 mod SCTs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Might be racing my slash in a 4x4 mod sct class. What should I change or upgrade to make it more durable for the track and faster to the mod 4x4 scts? Racing on indoor clay. Getting some DE wheels and some Jcon smoothie slicks (green compound). I am running a HW max10 SCT (120A sensorless) with 4000 kv motor. Ill be racing with 4x4 scts with 4.5t to 8.5t sensored motors. Will be running 2s. Right now my gearing is 20/86. Might put in the highest pinion I got which is a 28t optional pinion. Also with those slick tires I will be using some tire traction spray.

DE wheels: https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-rac...els-black-4-22sct-tenscte-der-ts4-10b/p705709
Jcon slicks: https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconce...rse-tires-2-green-jco3131-02/p467250?v=454478

It takes a squeaky clean driver to be competitive with a Slash, there was a pro level driver who showed up with a Slash and cleaned house in a ROAR Regional event around 2015 in my area. What made his setup so successful was that the event was on a small 1/10 track without big air on a high grip surface and the guy NEVER wrecked.

Over the years I've seen a lot of 4WD Slashes attempt to be raced and very rarely did I see a Slash make it through a full race day without at least 1 broken part. There are too many design flaws to address where key upgrades simply aren't available. Everyone, not a joke, EVERYONE I know who stays in the 4WD SCT class long term will eventually upgrade to either TEKNO or TLR to make long term maintenance costs reasonable. You will get nickel and dimed with plastic parts that tend to wear out quickly.

For someone who wants to get their feet wet and see if racing is for them, then yes, a Slash is a great way to quickly get into racing with a RTR, but I've seen many people get discouraged when their race day ends early because something broke and there are no parts available, etc...

If your track is low grip, then you absolutely need to upgrade to a center gear diff, other than that, try to upgrade to RPM parts where available as you start to experience the flood of breaks... carry LOTS of spares... arms, drive shafts, axles, hubs, kingpins, steering blocks, shock shafts, etc...

I recall KingHeadz fixed a major design flaw in the motor mount to extend the life of the bearing in the center drive shaft, I knew one guy who had to replace that bearing every single race day making the Slash extremely high maintenance.... IF you want to be competitive with it.

Best of luck!

Might be racing my slash in a 4x4 mod sct class. What should I change or upgrade to make it more durable for the track and faster to the mod 4x4 scts? Racing on indoor clay. Getting some DE wheels and some Jcon smoothie slicks (green compound). I am running a HW max10 SCT (120A sensorless) with 4000 kv motor. Ill be racing with 4x4 scts with 4.5t to 8.5t sensored motors. Will be running 2s. Right now my gearing is 20/86. Might put in the highest pinion I got which is a 28t optional pinion. Also with those slick tires I will be using some tire traction spray.

DE wheels: https://www.amainhobbies.com/de-rac...els-black-4-22sct-tenscte-der-ts4-10b/p705709
Jcon slicks: https://www.amainhobbies.com/jconce...rse-tires-2-green-jco3131-02/p467250?v=454478
If I remember you have 2wd slash. In that case nothing will make it competitive against 4wd sct

If I remember you have 2wd slash. In that case nothing will make it competitive against 4wd sct
Correct and true.
If your track is low grip, then you absolutely need to upgrade to a center gear diff, other than that, try to upgrade to RPM parts where available as you start to experience the flood of breaks... carry LOTS of spares... arms, drive shafts, axles, hubs, kingpins, steering blocks, shock shafts, etc...
I'm planning to put in my 272R transmission which has a sealed gesr diff and aluminum motor plate. I got a whole ziplock bag full of spare parts.
For someone who wants to get their feet wet and see if racing is for them, then yes, a Slash is a great way to quickly get into racing with a RTR, but I've seen many people get discouraged when their race day ends early because something broke and there are no parts available, etc...
Yes. This was me at the track last year. I would be off the track in 5 minutes just for something. Or I broke something.
Over the years I've seen a lot of 4WD Slashes attempt to be raced and very rarely did I see a Slash make it through a full race day without at least 1 broken part. There are too many design flaws to address where key upgrades simply aren't available. Everyone, not a joke, EVERYONE I know who stays in the 4WD SCT class long term will eventually upgrade to either TEKNO or TLR to make long term maintenance costs reasonable. You will get nickel and dimed with plastic parts that tend to wear out quickly.
This is what I even might do. I has been looking at the SCTE 3.0. Might even get the sct410 because of the price. Also if I do get a SCT kit my uncle has me hooked with alot of stuff. He has a lot of spare wheels, foams, and motors. (He has 3 4.5t Novak ballistic motors sitting on a shelf)

My track also runs mod ST. They really don't do stadium trucks but in that class is more of the 1/10 truggies like the et410.
What made his setup so successful was that the event was on a small 1/10 track without big air on a high grip surface and the guy NEVER wrecked.
Wow. At my old carpet track with a LCG chassis with full pins I would traction roll alot. Don't get me started on the stock HCG chassis.

It takes a squeaky clean driver to be competitive with a Slash
Yea. Its just normal club racing. I'm not really going with the competitive side with my slash. I just wanna race the slash as a side class if my buggy is down or just a side class to have fun. It will be fun if I can beat some of those mod 4x4 scts. If I do I'll be surprised. But if I don't it's fine. It's all just for fun. 😊

This morning I had put my 272R transmission in the slash (the one with the sealed gear diff and aluminum motor plate) and I rebuild the rear end basically. I put the stock steel camber links in the rear and will put them on the front (I had the Traxxas aluminum ones and I snapped alot of those in the past) I had also lowered the suspension by removing all of the preload spacers on the shocks. I might add some of the very thin ones once I get to the track. I also cut the wheel wells around the tires so they don't rub. (also lowered front and rear body mounts) I am going to order AMain tonight and my slicks and wheels should be here by next week. (Along with other stuff)

Another thing to note. I only have 1 transponder. So what I am trying to do is switch out the transponder between the buggy and slash. I only have 1 screw holding it in so it is easy to take in and out. On the buggy I have it on top of the servo. For the slash I plan to put it on the farthest location on the chassis. (For the slash, I am using a wire extension for the transponder)

PXL_20230211_051518494.jpg

PXL_20230211_051502790.jpg

PXL_20230211_183502777.jpg

PXL_20230211_183411091.jpg

PXL_20230211_183346652.jpg

PXL_20230211_174642383.jpg

PXL_20230211_152046831.jpg

Let me help put things into perspective...

Running a 4WD Slash against TEKNO or TLR is like taking knife to a gun fight.

Running a 2WD Slash against TEKNO or TLR is like taking a toothpick to a gun fight... no joke :(

The tires I see pictured above are no bueno.

You didn't mention the track conditions but the clay tires from your buggy suggest that's the race condition.

The single most important upgrade I would encourage at this point are investing in proper tires and sauce.

I'm sponsored with RawSpeed so I'm going to be biased with their tires, but if I was going to run 2WD SC on clay for myself today, this is what I would do:

I would run Rip Tides all the way around with Clay compound on the front and Gumball compound on the rear:
https://rawspeedrc.com/rip-tide-short-course-tires-w-inserts-2-2x3-1-pr/

My favorite sauce is PB Blaster:
https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-DS-Penetrating-Catalyst-delivery/dp/B07YFT9YRL

I spray it into an empty bottle and squeeze a few drops onto a toothbrush and work it into the tire before each race:
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbyland-Boston-Squeeze-Bottles-bottles/dp/B079W5M5TJ

I would start with saucing only the rear tires, and if you need more steering, then sauce the inner half of each front tire... very rarely do you want to sauce the entire front tire on 2WD cars.

Good Luck!

The tires I see pictured above are no bueno.
Yea. Those are my bashing / off road tires. I just ordered a set of slicks (Jcon smoothies sct) and a set of sct DE racing wheels.
The single most important upgrade I would encourage at this point are investing in proper tires and sauce.
Like above I just got a set of slicks and I will try out my new Protek medium grip tire spray.

Back