What scale crawler?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm in the market for a crawler.

But I'm unsure what scale to get.

I'm leaning towards a 1/10th scale. Purely because it's bigger, can handle rougher terrain better and I like a bigger truck.

BUT, I'm also looking at the 1/24th scale crawlers. Especially the Axial SCX24 or the RGT Adventurer V2. The problem with these two is parts availability in South Africa. Yassas we are a backwards POS country!

Anyhoo. My daughter LOVES playing with her toy grade RC car. But I think it would be cool to have two SCX24's running around outside. I'm also toying with the idea of building a small crawling track in the yard somewhere, which I think the 1/24 scale would be better suited to. Making a track for a 1/10 I think will turn out to be too big.

All my crawlers are 1/10 scale I never been a small scale guy but I did finally buy a 1/18 scale. It’s pretty fun but my bigger ones are for major crawling and thrashing.
Sounds like space and with ur daughter start with the scx24 I hear a lot good things about them. Later on you can always move up to bigger scale.

Last edited:
One crawl over almost anything truck, or 2 or 3 prepped course required trucks. They both have pros and cons. If your gonna have a beer, can't go wrong with a couple for the same price and spend time with your kids.

If you walk or hike, I would go 1/10. You can drive it as you walk, and it will handle the terrain thrown.

I like my 1/10s. I want a scx6 next. I'm building a 1/8 Ford Raptor at the moment. I'm toying with the idea of a 1/18 Cam Am to put on my 1/10 trailer also. 🤔

I would say to start off with two SCX24. These are very good crawlers right out of the box. Also, being able to spend more time with your daughter, right at home, would be absolutely priceless!
SCX24 parts and aftermarket upgrades are available all over the Internet. These rc are extremely popular and have a huge parts market.
Setting up a good 1/10 course would realistically require heavy machinery, and even then, a lot of physical labor. 1/24 would just require time. Also, it's should be fairly easy to rearrange a 1/24 course to keep interest from going stale. My modified SCX24s really does surprisingly well on 1/10 courses.

Thanks all!

Couple of SCX24's it will be. :)
Best, out of the box, crawling performance will be from the Deadbolt models.
If you go to the Micro & Mini section of this forum, there are many threads on the SCX24s.

Best, out of the box, crawling performance will be from the Deadbolt models.
If you go to the Micro & Mini section of this forum, there are many threads on the SCX24s.
Forgive my ignorance, but I thought it's only the body/shell that is different? :) Or are there differences in the chassis design ect?

The Deadbolt is the one I'm looking at. Comes in the cheapest.

SCX24's are great, love my 1/10 scale too. The best thing about the SCX24's is they are travel sized, they can go anywhere you go. indoor/outdoor fun, and quite a few upgrades available if you like tinkering. I would say they take up less space on the shelf, but it would be a lie, these things multiply like rabbits! 🤣

If the SCX24's are hard to get in South Africa, you might take a look at the FMS atlas 6x6, or the new FMS 1/24 power wagon. not as upgradable but still solid performers in a small package. :thumbs-up:

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought it's only the body/shell that is different? :) Or are there differences in the chassis design ect?

The Deadbolt is the one I'm looking at. Comes in the cheapest.
I only have the Deadbolt, JLU, and C10, and while they do share a majority of parts, some parts are different between models. Such as: chassis, tire size, linkage lengths, and driveshaft lengths. You can't add larger tires to the C10 without signifivcantly cutting up the body.

I would go 1/10 scale without a doubt. They are more durable, capable and it's easy to get (stock and upgrade) parts. If you want an RTR Traxxas, Axial, Element are all very good.

The SCX24 is good, but it a bit (just my opinion) weak out of the box. There are lots of upgrades and the whole thing is about 1/3 the price of a 1/10 scale. The downfall is the motor is weak and burns out; although, it's only $10 to replace.

I would say to start off with two SCX24. These are very good crawlers right out of the box. Also, being able to spend more time with your daughter, right at home, would be absolutely priceless!
SCX24 parts and aftermarket upgrades are available all over the Internet. These rc are extremely popular and have a huge parts market.
Setting up a good 1/10 course would realistically require heavy machinery, and even then, a lot of physical labor. 1/24 would just require time. Also, it's should be fairly easy to rearrange a 1/24 course to keep interest from going stale. My modified SCX24s really does surprisingly well on 1/10 courses.
I have the white SCX24 Jeep with CRC decals on the sides. I want to get another SCX24 but hear this and that about them and unable to pull the trigger on a 2nd one. I just do not know which to get.

Back