what lipos to get

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just got a jammin x1 crt with the tekin rx8 and I'm going to race this truggy so if any one could help me out with maby 2 lipos and a charger under $175 that will be sweet and i no the lipos can get up there in the price range

ehhh everything under 175 is a very tight budget for all of that especially if your racing! if your buying cheap you will more than likely be buying again soon. id suggest thunder power batteries (which are made in the usa) a hyperion battery charger, 0606i this way you don't need a power supply, if your racing then you may want a faster charge so an upgrade to a 1420i would charge your batteries VERY FAST. thunder power batteries are rated to 6c so a 5000mah battery could be charged at 30A so you would have a fully charged battery in 5-7 minutes; the only drawback would be you need a power supply. it all depends on how much money you want to spend but if i were you id spend a lot just to know the batteries, charger and power supply would be around for a long time!

i just got a jammin x1 crt with the tekin rx8 and I'm going to race this truggy so if any one could help me out with maby 2 lipos and a charger under $175 that will be sweet and i no the lipos can get up there in the price range

gensacearespammers makes really good LiPos but they are a little expensive. Tenergy actually makes a decent LiPo for the money but as with most of the RC stuff from China the quality can vary from item to item but generally I've had good luck with the Tenergy. Sometimes it takes quite a while for them to reach you depending on wether the palce you order from has a US warehouse or wether they have to order it from china.

As for chargers I would Suggest the Dynamite Passport Ultra first and foremost but weighing in at $130 I'm betting you wont be interested.

My second choice for a LiPo charger is a Duratrax ICE charger its a little cheaper at about $95 bucks but you will also need a LiPo balancer with this guy cuz it doesn't have one built in like the Dynamite.

A good budget charger is the Thunder AC6. the drawback here is I believe the max charging power is 5Amps and I dont think it can be used in the field either like the two I mentioned above.

ehhh everything under 175 is a very tight budget for all of that especially if your racing! if your buying cheap you will more than likely be buying again soon. id suggest thunder power batteries (which are made in the usa) a hyperion battery charger, 0606i this way you don't need a power supply, if your racing then you may want a faster charge so an upgrade to a 1420i would charge your batteries VERY FAST. thunder power batteries are rated to 6c so a 5000mah battery could be charged at 30A so you would have a fully charged battery in 5-7 minutes; the only drawback would be you need a power supply. it all depends on how much money you want to spend but if i were you id spend a lot just to know the batteries, charger and power supply would be around for a long time!

I would never charge your LiPos at more than 1 or 2 Amps unless you are racing and its an emergency. Fast charging your LiPos will lessen the amount of usage you will get out of them and increases the chance of your LiPo catching fire. Just invest in extra batteries as time goes on and make sure you get a field charger. Charge one while you're running others.

Actually it is safe to charge them at their rated capacity. If it's 4000 mAH battery then you can safely charge it at 4 amps (4000 mA).

Actually it is safe to charge them at their rated capacity. If it's 4000 mAH battery then you can safely charge it at 4 amps (4000 mA).

Yep, just like Hamz said, charge them like that. Just dont go over, so if its 5000 mah, dont do 6A, do 5A.

Gens and Turnigy are very good for the money. Cheap enough you can get more and a real good chance of the same results as a "big" brand would get you.

greywolf no worries i have never charged my lipos over 2c just because i want to get the most out of a 120$ battery hahaha

greywolf no worries i have never charged my lipos over 2c just because i want to get the most out of a 120$ battery hahaha

Do you mean 2amps?

Charging at 2c means you are charging at 2x the capacity of the pack.

you guys can do what you want but its been my experience that slow charging my batteries seems to enhance my battery life and the only Lipo fire I've ever hade was when I was charging a 5k mah at 5amps.

you guys can do what you want but its been my experience that slow charging my batteries seems to enhance my battery life and the only Lipo fire I've ever hade was when I was charging a 5k mah at 5amps.

I have always had similar results. Slow charging my LiPo's usually means the puff less, last longer (both in age and flight time), and stay cooler while charging, which I would assume means you are less likely to burn your house down. (Not a joke, I know a guy who really did while charging his batteries at home).

I pretty much always leave my LiPo's in my car anyways, and unless I am going to be RIGHT next to them inside, I go outside, pop the hood, and charge them right from my car battery, so I never really have to worry about that. But even then, for my plane batteries (1100-2200mAh) I leave the charger on about 1.5A. For car batteries (5000mAh) I'll stay around 2.5A. Sure it takes a few hours, but I don't really mind that much. I have enough packs so I can go for a day or three without charging any, then when I'm sitting at home doing nothing I can charge them all up. Plus, I bought a board that lets you charge 6 at once on a single charger, so that helps.

Besides, it's not like batteries are that expensive any more. You're probably better off getting 8 batteries and slow charging them that way you will always have enough to last for whatever you need, instead of buying 2 or 3 and fast charging them all the time. It would cost more up front, but in the long run, I bet it would really end up costing less.

Last edited:
Unless you are racing and need your LiPo pack charged faster (if your pack is rated to do so), then it is always best to charge the pack at 1C max which will prolong the life of the pack. Charging at 1C will take no more than an hour no matter what the capacity of the pack.

thanks for all the help i got a ac6 charger for now just so i can get the feel of the truck then ill upgrade to a better charger as far as lipos go i still really can't decide what to get because of the prices

thanks for all the help i got a ac6 charger for now just so i can get the feel of the truck then ill upgrade to a better charger as far as lipos go i still really can't decide what to get because of the prices

Hobbypartz.com

1. Go to that website
2. Look up gensacearespammers or Sky LiPo
3. ???
4. PROFIT

Seriously though. Depending on what you are looking for and if they are having a sale or not, you can get really good quality (read: powerful as hell) LiPos for ~$20 each. The only cheaper place that I've found is hobbyking.com. They have some LiPos in their US warehouse, but the bulk of their stuff is in China and takes a while to get. Hobbypartz has the cheapest I've found, their shipping is fast, and both of those brands work excellent.

I've also used Blue Lipo in planes, and they work good, but never in cars.

will sky lipo work with traxxas?I am new to electric and the connector dosen't seem the same or can you switch out the connectors on lipos?

You can change the connector. Just be sure you only cut one wire at a time and solder the first wire to the new connector and hat shrink it before cutting the second wire from the old connector.

You can change the connector. Just be sure you only cut one wire at a time and solder the first wire to the new connector and hat shrink it before cutting the second wire from the old connector.

^^^ What he said. Sort of.

You can put any type of connector on any type of battery that you want (or, if you would rather, you could leave the battery connectors alone and change the connector on the esc).

But I've never heard about cutting/soldering one wire at a time. I'm curious, why do you suggest that?

i looked up the sky lipos please tell me this is to good to be true i got a venom 5000mah 4s and i paid 101 for it i could have gotten 3 or 4 skys for that price..do the sky lipos last a while i mean i wanna get some good runs with them and maby try to stat racing with them but 20 dollars for a lipo you can not beat that at all even if they dont last long

i looked up the sky lipos please tell me this is to good to be true i got a venom 5000mah 4s and i paid 101 for it i could have gotten 3 or 4 skys for that price..do the sky lipos last a while i mean i wanna get some good runs with them and maby try to stat racing with them but 20 dollars for a lipo you can not beat that at all even if they dont last long

My favorites are gensacearespammers and Sky LiPos. Both are around the same price range (AKA 1/4 that of a venom). I've used nearly everything - gensacearespammers, Sky, Turnigy, Zippy, Venom, Thunder Tiger, you name it. For ~$20 gensacearespammers and Sky still have all the quality, life and power of a battery 5 times the price. I personally prefer the gensacearespammers - I think they perform a little better than the Sky - but both brands are still 100% worth it.

But I've never heard about cutting/soldering one wire at a time. I'm curious, why do you suggest that?

Cut both at once and you can actually short out the pack since the cutters could complete the connection between the 2 wires. Plus it's best not to have both exposed ends of the wires flopping around to avoid shorting the pack.

Better to be safe than sorry especially if you have never soldering battery leads.

Back