What kind of failsafe should i get for my new 5308 revo 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo3.3Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I just got the new 2008 edition 5308 revo 3.3 and i wanna be ready for break in when spring starts. Does any one have a revo and if yeah do you know a good failsafe for it. I dont care for the price i just wanna be secured. What is a good failsafe tht will not have any problems and will work great? I heard tht the venoms have lots of problems and the duratrax too. I was thinking about getting a ofna. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a venom and it is ok. I had problems with it when the batteries were not fully charged and I gunned the throttle, it would cut out. I guess it was doing what it was suppose to do. However, the batteries had plenty of juice left.
I just purchased a Spektrum DX3S radio. They come with built in failsafe's plus you dont have to worry about someone on your frequency. It is a good upgrade :)

A failsafe is an electrical component that you install between the receiver and the throttle servo. You can set the failsafe to cut the throttle to idle or even apply the brakes in the event your receiver battery goes dead or you receive RF (radio interference) or inter-modulation.

I personally use the DuraTrax Micro Failsafe and highly recommend them.

Approx $20.00. If your LHS doesn't have them RC Boca and Tower Hobbies carry the DuraTrax and the Venom.

I use the Ofna micro, it's about the size of a nickel (double the thickness). I have mine set to apply full brakes in case of a failure. It seems to do a decent job of it. I ran it WOT and turned off my transmitter, my Revo came to a halt in a very reasonable amount of space/time. Turned the transmitter back on and it was ready to go. $25-$30, they're a must for any RC. If your nitro doesn't have a throttle return spring, that is another must have as well.

The MT has a return spring, KbigO69. I never did install a failsafe on it but never ran the batteries down enough to need it, and didn't run it close to anybody or anything to have an inter-mod problem...

with it having a return spring do i still need a failsafe? hey rc addict sent a pm see if there is anything else i need to the list

with it having a return spring do i still need a failsafe? hey rc addict sent a pm see if there is anything else i need to the list

IMO it's still an important accessory. There are rare occasions when the throttle can stay 'at the last point of input' from the controller and the only thing that will stop it will be a fail safe or a crash.... I'm sure you can guess which is cheaper.:D

haha yea def. sorry if these seem like pretty obvious questions but like i said I'm new in rc and just trying to learn everything i can and i figure the only way i could do that is read alot and ask alot of questions

I use the Ofna micro, it's about the size of a nickel (double the thickness). I have mine set to apply full brakes in case of a failure. It seems to do a decent job of it. I ran it WOT and turned off my transmitter, my Revo came to a halt in a very reasonable amount of space/time. Turned the transmitter back on and it was ready to go. $25-$30, they're a must for any RC. If your nitro doesn't have a throttle return spring, that is another must have as well.

x2 on this, I use the same.

haha yea def. sorry if these seem like pretty obvious questions but like i said I'm new in rc and just trying to learn everything i can and i figure the only way i could do that is read alot and ask alot of questions

No such thing as an obvious question! I didn't know anything about them until after about a month of running my Revo. We're happy to help :)

hey i was looking venom failsafe and i see it has a onboard temp gauge which that will save me from having to buy a temp gun are these any good?

hey i was looking venom failsafe and i see it has a onboard temp gauge which that will save me from having to buy a temp gun are these any good?

Most experienced RC guys prefer the hand held temp guns. For the price of the venom unit, you can buy a fail-safe and a temp gun. The real savings comes from space/wiring. The micro fail-safes fit inside most receiver boxes so there is no external wiring to get damaged. Not sure about the accuracy of the venom temp unit, but a hand held IR temp gun is accurate to +/- 2 degrees.

Check out these guys, they seem to make a pretty durable IR gun. It's small and fits nicely in your pocket. I've dropped mine a couple times and it keeps on working. For $25 it's hard to beat IMO. Pro Exotics.com I have the PE-1 and have been very satisfied with it.

ok thanks i was just seeing if i could get a two in one but from the sounds of that it will be better with just 2 lol

ok what about the ofna fail safe? I'm trying to order all from the same website and they only have 2 fail safes the ofna and the venom

Back