What is the most versatile Chassis?

• Thread starter Vanilla Gorilla
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanilla Gorilla

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just have a few questions about running different racing styles using the same chassis. I have the kids playing with the A949 for rally cars w/jumps, and that 9301 short course truck (that always seems to be released under a new brand every few years). They are cheap and durable, and they cover all the abusive off road stuff for now.
But now, ever since I saw that associated SR10 Monte Carlo, I am eyeing a corner of my property, and thinking about turning it into a dirt oval for 1/10. I I am looking at the other corner, and thinking about a paved oval with a small road course section in the middle. . I am looking for a chassis that can go from a dirt (smooth pack clay) oval, to paved/smooth oval, to road course, with just tire and shock swaps. I keep going back to the Tamiya TT02, because the RTR models look great, and the chassis looks like it can fit a multitude of bodies. I am not racing competitively and not doing jumps, just want to change up the race styles and aesthetics every now and again, like vintage NASCAR, Trans-Am, GT4, street stocks, etc. As I need to purchase 3 cars, I am looking at about a $200 budget each right away with only one body type for now, the TT-02 seems to fit the bill, but it is AWD (can prob remove driveshaft)...would prefer 2WD/ RWD. any suggestions for other versatile chassis that may be cheaper, or comes in Rwd 1/10 scale?

Thanks

I'm not the right guy to answer your question, but someone who knows what they are talking about will be along shortly, just wanted to welcome you to the group. :)

I have two TT02's, and after pouring a bunch of money into one of them, I am simply not impressed, in fact, pretty disappointed. If it were me, I would probably be looking elsewhere. Maybe a Kyosho Fazer chassis would be better?

The reason I don't like the TT02 is the steering and front A-arms are just crap. I have had toy grade RC with better steering. The upper front arms are one of the worst part designs in RC that I have ever seen.

I will go make you a video...

Here is a quick demo of the steering issues.

If Tamiya option parts weren't so ridiculously overpriced for these TT-02's, it would be a fun car to build stock, and slowly upgrade. But you would want to start with the front end upgrades first.

Last edited:
I have two TT02's, and after pouring a bunch of money into one of them, I am simply not impressed, in fact, pretty disappointed. If it were me, I would probably be looking elsewhere. Maybe a Kyosho Fazer chassis would be better?

The reason I don't like the TT02 is the steering and front A-arms are just crap. I have had toy grade RC with better steering. The upper front arms are one of the worst part designs in RC that I have ever seen.

I will go make you a video...
Yeah, I thought you were going to mention the plastic tabs on the A-arms. Even the chinese RC cars I have come with metal pins. Thanks for that video, it would be required viewing for anyone interested in that car.

Yeah, I thought you were going to mention the plastic tabs on the A-arms. Even the chinese RC cars I have come with metal pins. Thanks for that video, it would be required viewing for anyone interested in that car.
Yeah right? It is a wear area. I thought that was pretty ridiculous too. The fact that the entire car is held together with Phillips screws is another big minus for me also. This was my first Tamiya build, and the other one is still in the box. I doubt we will be building it any time soon.

I think any of the Traxxas 2wd lineup are good options (Slash, Rustler, Bandit, Stampede), though they are bigger than the TT02 (and goes a bit over budget for some of them). Many of them have been turned into dirt oval race trucks, no prep drag cars, onroad speedrunners, offroad monster trucks, etc.

I had forgotten one crucial thing, that's RTR. Those Tamiyas I was looking at, don't come with Radios or servos. Once Radios and servos purchased, Tamiyas are in Traxxas RTR price range. Thinking I am just going to pick up a WLtoys 124019, and try to get a mcallister body onto it, just to scratch the itch. Going to find a used Traxxas bandit, and see if I can shorten the wheelbase to about 10" or 10.5" with a custom frame so car-type bodies don't look so goofy. I'll beat on the chinese-traxxas frankencars for a couple of years, until the kids are mature enough to handle the more expensive toys, which I am probably going to have to shell out about $350 each for. I still want that Tamiya '99 Subaru Rally car though.. Can't stop thinking about it LOL.

I still want that Tamiya '99 Subaru Rally car though.. Can't stop thinking about it LOL.
I know what you mean. I love that one too, and almost bought it instead of the NSX.

If you want a nice RTR, look at Kyosho Fazers. They aren't priced bad at all. That Merc will be my next road car.

Last edited:
Back