What is the best way to stop ballooning?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignore those idiots, lol. You can tape the inside of the tire with a good quality duct tape, that will help keep the tires from ballooning up.

62e1afec-6535-122c.jpg

Just tear down this guys house?

Sorry... Haven't been around in a while, had to chime in.

For serious... I've never noticed te tires on my Revo ballooning. What causes this?

Strapping tape works pretty good as well. The 1 inch wide stuff is pretty easy to manipulate into place. But the duct tape may be about the right width, so check out both options to see what suits you best.

Yup duct tape, strapping tape and even Gorrilla tape works great too. The only problem is you have to take the tire off the rim to do it. How I do it is once it is off the rim I turm the tire inside-out and clean it real good with DA. Let it dry then wrap it a couple times all the way around covering then entire contact patch of the tire . Turn it back right side out then with your fingers or a socket rub the tape into the tire real good to seal it. Glue the tire back on and you are GTG!

:goodpost: That's the best way, turn the tire inside out, clean well, and tape. 2" duct tape is about the perfect size.

Hey Whit, we kid around a lot here, but you always get the info you need. Duct tape is the only method that really works. It's best to do it with new tires. Taking old ones off the rims is not easy.

You are correct my good sir they are hard to get off the rim. The best way to prevent ballooning is not to run them at all. Kinda like.... mine right now actually.....and someone else around here I am not going to say any names but *cough*Rolex*cough* Wouldn't it be nice if they would just do some fiberglass belting in the tires to prevent it all together?

You know they would sell a lot of them. Heck they would even stay on the rims better, drive better....big hint here tire makers!!! Damn they were not listening....sigh, oh well.

I think one of the biggest reasons of no fiberglass inside of the rims or metal or anything like that is because if you land a hard jump, or anything like that, it would bend, or shatter under the pressures. Plus, the tires help with the absorbing a large part of the shock of landing putting much less strain on the rest of the rig. Wouldnt work IMO. You would need more like a thicker rubber to help recoil all the pressure, without bending/breaking anything out of shape. Plus, if it were fiberglassed, it would have some kind of edge that would slice the thin rubber of the RC tires with the expanding and contracting of the tire under high/low speeds.

It seems that taping and balancing is the best method right now. I myself have never balanced a set of tires. I know I should. All my rigs are geared for 25-30 mph tops. I mainly have crab grass to run on, so I gotta gear low. My tires sure are floppy on the road.:) It's not too noticeable off road though.

Not sure if OP still is interested, but here goes:

I just happened to tape a set of 40 series crime fighters. I used plain old duct tape - 1 7/8" wide. I cut 2 strips 18" each. Then i overlapped them so they formed one strip of tape 3" wide (make sure you don't have any creases). Then taped the tire with the tire inside out (make sure to clean tire with alcohol). Roll the tire onto the tape with the tape pulled tight (you can stick one end to something while you roll). The tape should fit evenly down the center. You only need to overlap the ends by 1/2" so cut any extra tape.

So far no ballooning.

And if the tires are currently mounted, you can bake them to remove them. I just did that to another set of tires. Works perfect and doesn't even harm the chrome finish. Squirrel on Youtube has a good video demo. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027Rmd9wde0"]YouTube - ProLineRacing.com- Remove Tires- Baking[/ame]

Last edited:
Back