what is a one way bearing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinvill2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My truck is having problems with its transmission. A one way bearing is what should fix the problem. What is this and what exactly does a one way bearing do?

Whole issue- my nitro truck fires right up but will barely move if on pavement. Everything on the outside is secure and where it should be. If I lift the truck up, then hit the gas the tires spin like normal and get to its top speed. However while on the ground, the truck will get loud like it is moving top speed but does not go anywhere.

If anybody knows, how much will this cost to take it in to some place so the transmission can be worked on?

I would check your slipper clutch and set it back to stock settings if nto already and then Id take the clutchbell off and check your clutchshoes. make sure to get your gear mesh right when you put it back together. :)

I'm no expert, but from what I understand if your OWB is out you couldn't start turn over the mil. I agree with Grey, sounds like a slipper or shoe problem.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand if your OWB is out you couldn't start turn over the mil. I agree with Grey, sounds like a slipper or shoe problem.
That's the OWB on the starter shaft. Not related to this problem.
I agree to check the slipper first, then the clutch. If both are good hold the truck off the ground and see if the output shaft on the trans is turning when you hold the wheels. If it is, you've probably got a snapped pin in the drive train. It will turn when there's no load but won't move when it's on the ground.

what exactly does a one way bearing do?

A OWB is a bearing that fits on a shaft and will free spin in one direction and grab the shaft to transfer the rotation of another driven input to the shaft it is installed on when spun in the opposite direction.
The OWB has needle bearings that ride on an internal ramp system. When spun in the direction of negative engagement, the needle bearings ride up the ramp and allow the bearing to work like a standard ball bearing allowing the bearing or the shaft to spin freely. When the bearing is spun in the direction of positive engagement, the bearings ride down the ramp and clinch/grab hold of the shaft and turn it.

Think of a owb as the rear sprocket hub on a multiple speed bicycle. When you pedal forward, the sprocket is driven and power is applied to the wheel to turn it. When you coast or pedal backwards, the sprocket free spools and does not apply a driven force to the wheel or the pedals.

There is a owb on the middle shaft between the first and second gears in the trans also. Mine in the 2.5 black trans was bad. Where it sits and turns on the shaft was worn down and it would slip and not turn the shaft. Thanks to Snookman he sent me a spare shaft and owb and it fixed the problem. But i would check all the slipper clutch and engine clutch bell areas first because that owb alone should be the last thing to be your problem. And it is a costly bearing too. Over $20 just for the bearing.

Back