What is a good, reasonable price charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoMamaLlama

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
I have a dynamite prophet sport mini charger, but I m needing something faster and somewhat "Smarter". I am looking for a charger that can read out battery percentage, 1-8 amp charging for all battery types (NiMH, LiPO, etc), discharge. I'm looking at this Tenergy charger. I have 4 NiMH 3300 batteries and getting LiPO soon. Would this charger be good? Or would something else be better?
And in LiPO, I need something in 8.4 V, any ideas?

That's just about the weakest charger you can get that'll still get the job done.

Since you're planning to go LiPo, get something at least 80-100W, possibly dual channel. I have a 2x200W charger and it's nice to be able to charge two 6s packs quickly.

Say you want to charge a 2s 5000mAh pack. You need 8.4*5 aka 42 watts to charge at 1C. But maybe you go 3s on3 day, or want to charge faster (some packs can handle a higher charge current). Then you need more. For a 5000mAh 3s at 2C you need 126W... And some headroom is always good.

For batteries, Hobbyking (not their cheapest ones) or CNHL are good stuff with a very good price/performance ratio, but I'm in Europe so other brands may give you more bang for your buck.

That's just about the weakest charger you can get that'll still get the job done.

Since you're planning to go LiPo, get something at least 80-100W, possibly dual channel. I have a 2x200W charger and it's nice to be able to charge two 6s packs quickly.

Say you want to charge a 2s 5000mAh pack. You need 8.4*5 aka 42 watts to charge at 1C. But maybe you go 3s on3 day, or want to charge faster (some packs can handle a higher charge current). Then you need more. For a 5000mAh 3s at 2C you need 126W... And some headroom is always good.

For batteries, Hobbyking (not their cheapest ones) or CNHL are good stuff with a very good price/performance ratio, but I'm in Europe so other brands may give you more bang for your buck.
Thanks, do you have any suggestions for charger brands? And which to avoid?

I used it for the first-time last night and it's as simple as it gets.

R.jpg

I have a dynamite prophet sport mini charger, but I m needing something faster and somewhat "Smarter". I am looking for a charger that can read out battery percentage, 1-8 amp charging for all battery types (NiMH, LiPO, etc), discharge. I'm looking at this Tenergy charger. I have 4 NiMH 3300 batteries and getting LiPO soon. Would this charger be good? Or would something else be better?
And in LiPO, I need something in 8.4 V, any ideas?
If you have traxxas battery’s get the dual charger
They have nimh and lipo charge it will identify it for you

That charger seems good but has something just not needed, USB, wireless charging not going to be used. I have seen a single like the Hitec RDX1. Since I have 4 NiMH and planning LiPO, around 5000 mah, wouldn't I need a double charger? (Are channels the number of ports a charger has?)

sorry nino, replied earlier to wrong person
You'd be surprized how the USB and wireless charging come in handy. I had a power outage and needed to charge my phone. So I plugged a LiPo in and charged it with the charger. It was a life saver. And sometimes when I am charging a battery, I'll toss my phone on top just to top it off a bit. I love this charger even more because it has those features I too thought I would never use 😉

You'd be surprized how the USB and wireless charging come in handy. I had a power outage and needed to charge my phone. So I plugged a LiPo in and charged it with the charger. It was a life saver. And sometimes when I am charging a battery, I'll toss my phone on top just to top it off a bit. I love this charger even more because it has those features I too thought I would never use 😉
That never crossed my mind. 🤐😮😒

I have a talentcell li ion battery I use, but thats good to know.

That never crossed my mind. 🤐😮😒

I have a talentcell li ion battery I use, but thats good to know.
Yeah, I have two powerbanks to charge my phone in case I really need to, and of course they were both completely dead. I hadn't used them in a couple years though.