What happened to my Exceed Nitro Rally Monster.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadCharlieG

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I assume those who love nitro over electric are going to be questioning my logic, but the engine that came with my Exceed Rally Monster died yesterday. You can tell me it's my fault, I know. I should have bought yet another thing (A fuel filter) so that I could run it properly along with the many things I had to buy separately. I would assume that since it's "Ready To Run" there would be nothing I would have to put on it other than the starter pack and fuel. Oh, and AA batteries. But it looks like I needed to buy a fuel filter too. One grain of sand made it into the engine and that was enough to kill it...

But that's not where the story ends.

So the engine is done. We all know that. But I happened to have another RC that used the exact same type of chassis, but it was electric. It was also mostly ruined after a long jump contest. I made a video on it before that happened. I affectionately called it old reliable. Anyways, I was able to salvage the parts from it and convert the Rally Monster into an electric RC vehicle. It's an understatement to say I like electric over Nitro any day.

And sure. I could have put a bigger engine in it and gotten more performance. But brushless motors are just so much more simple and convenient for me.

Dare I say, more efficient?

I did a speed run with it and was able to get 42 mph out of it on my 1.6Ah 25C 2S Lipo. On nitro it could only make 34 and thats when I put large wheels on it. I'll share pictures when I get the chance.

Oh, and so there is some kind of conversation, has anyone else converted their nitro to electric?

Yup, I've converted more than one but I still love my nitros as well as my electrics. Electrics are easier and more powerful but theres just something about the sound of RPMs and the smell of nitro fuel. Heres some pics of my Losi LST2 that I converted to electric.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379667075413779.79780.369184703128683&type=3
Wow, that's pretty sick. Honestly I don't think I get the feeling like everyone else because most people have more years of experience than years I have been alive, and I guess nitro gives some nostalgic feel I can't relate to.

Wow, that's pretty sick. Honestly I don't think I get the feeling like everyone else because most people have more years of experience than years I have been alive, and I guess nitro gives some nostalgic feel I can't relate to.
Thats the best thing about this hobby. Theres something for everyone :)

Great topic! I'm new here picked up a very used t-maxx 1.5 probably first generation for 10$ thinking about converting to electric just comparing parts compared to nitro seems way more pricey. Would love to make this brushless is there ways to do this? I'm going to need to totally rebuild this anyway so new parts all around.

Attachments

• 20210516_183635.jpg
    20210516_183635.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210516_183655.jpg
    20210516_183655.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210516_183714.jpg
    20210516_183714.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20210516_183734.jpg
    20210516_183734.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210516_183744.jpg
    20210516_183744.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210516_183811.jpg
    20210516_183811.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 50
Great topic! I'm new here picked up a very used t-maxx 1.5 probably first generation for 10$ thinking about converting to electric just comparing parts compared to nitro seems way more pricey. Would love to make this brushless is there ways to do this? I'm going to need to totally rebuild this anyway so new parts all around.
If the engine is not seized and hasn't lost compression, there's a good chance that you can still run the engine without issues.

I just like you said nostalgic 😁

I have nice fuel filter and fuel line cooler brand new yet to use for the next build

Clean fuel, cold fuel, clean and functional air filter. Key to me. Real racing ice boxes are used for high octane fuel or alcohol. Same method. Nitrous is compressed and have to heat up do more flow. Just couple tips. So if your running lower compression motor less octane you need witch you can put boost and or nitrous to it. Higher compression higher octane. My 64/65 mustang 14-1 compression. I had to run SUNOCO 110 at least or VP.

You can get electric for cheap. (See HPI Maverick Quantum Flux)

There is a way to make your T-Maxx Electric, but it requires drilling holes for a motor mount and fitting a pinion to your motor that will- Work? I don't know, there's a thread discussing how to do it on here somewhere...

These are couple I have new keep fuel cooler and clean

Attachments

• 2FDA6A0E-5AB1-4A84-978C-FBACC40EAE12.jpeg
    2FDA6A0E-5AB1-4A84-978C-FBACC40EAE12.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 56
Electric is after responding high RPM less mess less tuning ect. Gas/nitro more fun if your into tuning and the smell, sound so on. Understating the nature of spark, combustion and exhaust.

Back