what fuel is best for me?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xplizit

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i know its a silly question but what fuel will i use in my schumacher rascal only had it 2 days only got a bit of 20% with it so should i stick to 20% or go higher or lower? I'm new to rc so i may ask some simple questions like this sorry :D:D:D

Is it new or used? Has the fuel been opened? (new or old fuel)
If it's been run on 20% stay with 20. We need to know if it's been broken in.

it is a new car run in with the nitrotane 20% (new) but I've used it all well not used it i dropped half the tin on the floor outside before i was GUTTED!

okay thanks for the help

You can switch fuels if you like or need to. It's an old wive's tale that you should stay with the same fuel. You just need to idle the engine a little bit to allow the engine to adjust to the new fuel. You should slightly richen the tune before switching fuels also.
I put 10 different gallons, brands and nitro percentages thru my Nitro Star .25. I tried it all to learn the different fuels for myself firsthand.
That engine still ran good after 10 gallons!
Being new to the hobby I have to agree with the other guys though. Stick with what you have and know for now. Wait until you get more confident in your tuning abilities before you change fuels.

Last edited:
ok thanks ill go out tomorrow and buy some fuel then i can go out again with it!

Byron or o'donnell 20%. Some of the best 2 fuels out there.
I run O'Donnell's because of the quality and the smell of the fuel. Its not as harsh as other fuels.

Yes, Stay with what you have

Just remember the higher the nitro percentage the colder the plug needs to be.
Nitrotane fuel did not impress me at all.
Expect to pick up some more power with a better fuel.
O'Donnell's, Byron's, Trinity MHP, Sidewinder Race.
I personally run Trinity Platinum 30% in both my big block engines. It runs cooler and makes more power than anything else I have tried.
It's only 8% oil but it makes tuning easier. If you run it lean with that low of an oil content it will wear out the engine fast. My buddy got 8 gallons of this fuel thru an Axial .28. it was still running great until a nasty runaway, it revved to the moon upside down for about 10 seconds before we could get to it. The compression was was gone after that.

is traxxas top fuel power plus any good

Not in my opinion or any reputable engine modder's opinion either.
What are your options that you can get locally?

well anything they got at hobbytown usa

Trinity Monster Horsepower 30% or O'Donnell's Race blend 30%, they carry both of those.

It's an old wive's tale that you should stay with the same fuel.....Wait until you get more confident in your tuning abilities before you change fuels.

I know there are a lot of variables in fuel, ie. types of oil used, percentage of types of oil and percent of nitro. My limited experience tells me that a good oil is most important and percent of nitro is limited by burn capability of a particular engine. For example, if a car is set to run efficiently on 20%, then running 30% would 1, reduce the amount of burnable fuel and thus reduce horsepower, and 2, blow 10% of the nitro out the exhaust. I also understand the theory on compressibility of fuel in a given head clearance and having to adjust it for prime compression but not sure how to put it into practice.

My question is one of necessity, unless I waited till whenever I manage to crap a gal of 20%, I only had 30% Cool Power available to break in but plan on getting 20%. Other than having to adjust the needles again, what other issues are there with the percentage of nitro that would cause me to only run one type once it's used. I see the logic on larger, cdi engines where spark timing comes into play but on these, the firing is a mechanical time based on when the engine compresses fuel enough to be heated and ignited by the plug. The only external factor to wanting to change fuels would be the ability to get more air and fuel such as opening ports, more free flowing intake or exhaust, or changing to a taller crank and shimming the head. I would like to hear experienced engine builders / modders to weigh in on the debate because as it stands, I'm about to regulary run 20% on a trxs3.3 that was broke in on 30%. I can't say your oppinions will change my course of action on this particular motor, but i would at least like to know what issues I am setting myself up for so I know what to keep an eye on, as well as how impatient I may be on future models.

Let the banter begin!

I know there are a lot of variables in fuel, ie. types of oil used, percentage of types of oil and percent of nitro. My limited experience tells me that a good oil is most important and percent of nitro is limited by burn capability of a particular engine. For example, if a car is set to run efficiently on 20%, then running 30% would 1, reduce the amount of burnable fuel and thus reduce horsepower, and 2, blow 10% of the nitro out the exhaust. I also understand the theory on compressibility of fuel in a given head clearance and having to adjust it for prime compression but not sure how to put it into practice.

My question is one of necessity, unless I waited till whenever I manage to crap a gal of 20%, I only had 30% Cool Power available to break in but plan on getting 20%. Other than having to adjust the needles again, what other issues are there with the percentage of nitro that would cause me to only run one type once it's used. I see the logic on larger, cdi engines where spark timing comes into play but on these, the firing is a mechanical time based on when the engine compresses fuel enough to be heated and ignited by the plug. The only external factor to wanting to change fuels would be the ability to get more air and fuel such as opening ports, more free flowing intake or exhaust, or changing to a taller crank and shimming the head. I would like to hear experienced engine builders / modders to weigh in on the debate because as it stands, I'm about to regulary run 20% on a trxs3.3 that was broke in on 30%. I can't say your oppinions will change my course of action on this particular motor, but i would at least like to know what issues I am setting myself up for so I know what to keep an eye on, as well as how impatient I may be on future models.

Let the banter begin!

Read post #7. Scroggs advice is always from what he's experienced himself and as far as Revos go, IMO, he knows them inside and out, as well as nitro engines in general.

Back