What are Traxxas "ID" and Spektrum "Smart" connectors? Explained...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to the hobby. Hello all! Can I use the new spektrum gen 2 smart lipos in my stock Trx4?
Where do I get connectors?
The spektrum connectors are either called IC3 or IC5 depending on the size of the connectors. The more powerful applications like kits that run off of 6 or 8 cell lipos are gonna use IC5 connectors and smaller less powerful setups would use the smaller IC3 connector. The Traxxas set up is going to use Traxxas connectors. So you can either go out and buy your own connectors and solder new connectors to your ESC and batteries or you can buy/make connectors that go from IC on one end to Traxxas on the other end. Most people generally just solder new connectors because most people have their own connector preferences. The XT60/XT90 connectors are the easiest to learn how to solder so you may want to start with those if you decide to go that route.

If you go the adapter route you'll want to look for EC to traxxas connectors as theyre probably more readily available and cheaper. EC3 are interchangeable with IC3 connectors and EC5 are interchangeable with IC5 connectors.

I get a lot of my connectors from www.hobbyking.com or ebay because they are cheap but the cheap connectors are usually shipped from China and can take 3 to 6 weeks sometimes to show up. Hobbyking has a USA and China warehouse so if you can find what you want from the USA warehouse thats a great place to get em from or you can set your ebay search to only North American sellers if you dont want to wait for the slow boat from China.

Back