What are the must have upgrades???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scr2000

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to nitro RC cars (i have a few planes) and am waiting on my T-Maxx to arrive. I know I have a lot of reading to do, but I was wondering what you experienced T-maxxers think are the upgrades that are REALLY worth the money. I know I'll get a bunch of different opinions here, but I am just curious to hear what you all think. Thanks!

First thing is an inline fuel filter. That's a must. It will save you a bunch of heartache in the future. And get rechargeable batteries for the transmitter and receiver. This thing will suck up alkalines left and right. It's much cheaper to get rechargeables.

Motor Saver Air Filter
Failsafe

Any preferred brandnames???

Motor Saver is the brand name of the air filter.
Either a Venom or Ofna failsafe will do fine.
I use a Dubro fuel filter

Get skid plates and the servo protector. It'll keep rocks and crap from breaking the Drive shafts.

Last edited:
its pretty good idea to get center skid, i made mine, it also covers the servo too.

as far as must haves, the fuel filter and air filter are the most important. after that its mostly personall preference, depending on the type of driving you like. i like to really push my truck hard so i invested in a roll cage, someone else might want a lighter/stronger chassis for racing or a clutch, ect.
after the few main basics its customization for your specific wants/needs.

Basically with any Maxx product, you will break things. I found with my E-Maxx, it was easier to buy a complete set of plastic parts off e-bay that people often sell as a basket. They upgrade to aluminum, and you get their leftovers. I saved a a ton of money that way, and alot of trips to the store.

Originally posted by Team 17
Get skid plates and the servo protector. It'll keep rocks and crab from breaking the Drive shafts.

Yeah, the last thing you need is crabs breaking your drive shafts. Damn crabs! :D

SUp man,

When you get your Maxx, return it and buy the diffs and tranny off E-bay. THen you can build it bulletproof instead of replacing many of the weak stock parts...lol.

SEriously though...in order of importance

Fuel Filter....prefferably a large size one. DOn't run a drop of fuel
through your new Maxx without a good fuel filter.
THrottle Return setup
A good fail safe - THe ofna micro failsafe kicks ass and it's tiny
Motor Saver air filter - Arguably the best air filter on the market, I love mine and they put allot more air into your engine
RPM Bulkhead BRaces
RPM A-Arms all around and Titanium HIngpins.
A better Steering Servo - The Hitech 645 no digital is great and the Hitech 5645 kicks ass
A better Servo saver and bellcrank system - RPM, Proline and Unlimited engineering make great systems depending on your budget.

That should keep ya busy for a little while. Keep in mind that even a T-maxx with $2000.00 worth of bad boy hop ups can break if you hit a wall or pole going 30-40 plus. THeir's much to be said for being a good driver.

Peace

Originally posted by NCNitro

Yeah, the last thing you need is crabs breaking your drive shafts. Damn crabs! :D

Very Funny! It's a type-o. I fixed it.

Originally posted by Team 17

Very Funny! It's a type-o. I fixed it.
I had no idea that it was the crabs that forced me to spend all that money on upgaded drive line components. I thought that they were giant dust mites!!! That's to funny, LMAO!

Where to begin.

My maxx has a sirio .18. (was a 2.5)
I just bought Ti Chassis, and Skids and slipper kit.
I'm about to buy MIP CVDs,hitec servo,and some other stuff to finish off my maxx

I already Have RPM A-Arms.

Only thing I need now is some awesome shocks.

Integy piggy backs are great! Check out my gallery. I have a .18 sirio with a rb innovations super charger I pulled off my truck. Super charger worked great! Sirio is a solid motor.

Originally posted by roindaouse
Integy piggy backs are great! Check out my gallery. I have a .18 sirio with a rb innovations super charger I pulled off my truck. Super charger worked great! Sirio is a solid motor.

I was actually looking at your pic's yesterday NICE MAXX.

I'm either going piggy backs or 1/8th buggy shocks

I bash that truck really hard. The only thing to ever happen to those shocks was a seal started to leak after a 10 foot hard drop!

SCR2000- I forgot to mention Titanium Turnbuckles. I wouldn't run my maxx without them but some run the stock turnbuckles as a weak link "fuse point" as they'd rather bend the stock turnbuckles. Lundsford Racing will replace your Titanium turnbuckles if they bend (not like they're going to lol). Even if you don't get Titanium turnbuckles I'd definitley reco that you get some of the beffy plastic turnbuckle ends from Proline or another company. The stock plastic turnbuckle ends are crap and break with relative ease.

Peace and enjoy your new truck