What’s your opinion? do you think I can run an rc car at a park with these rules?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NurturantQuasar

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I’m wanting to head to a park early in the morning to bash my rc since there won’t be a lot of people there if any in the morning and all my other bashing spots are either construction sites, houses, or businesses now. and I know it’s probably a stupid question but there’s cops everywhere at all times where I live at plus it’s a very popular park and I don’t feel like having a run in with a cop and feeling like a idiot if I can help it. Thanks

The rules I’m concerned with are:
  • No unauthorized motor vehicles on grass, trails, and sidewalks
  • No skating, rollerblading or biking.

Last edited:
That could go either direction actually. They certainly wouldn't throw you in jail if they frown on it. If it isn't posted, I would and all they can do is say " you silly goose, quit it.....:D

I agree with Tunedpipe. worst case scenario, a police officer will tell you to leave.?

I for one, have never been approached that way. I was boating in a lake at 9:45pm, where the park was to be closed at sunset. A cop drove into the park and only asked if I had seen a missing child, with a description.
I am always polite, and prepared to yield to anyone I think I may be bothering, or if any should ask me to stop. They usually just come to compliment my vehicle.

I had the local cops stop and watch me run one of mt RCs for a while in the park who gave me a thumbs up and left. It all depends on the LEO in question. Above all though: Be courteous and polite. That will go a long way with the police.

Actually it can go a few ways, I had a cop actually ask me about the car I was running ( at the time my ae touring car on a 10 t world class gold) he said he clocked it at 54 mph and was impressed by its speed and wanted to know the what where when’s and how much. Where as my nephew was given a ticket for running his on a public way, in excess of posted speed ( true story) the ticket was thrown out by a judge, it’s all an officers discretion. However most reasonable cops wouldn’t consider an rc a motor vehicle (unless you’re riding it lol)

As long as you aren't running it in the street or weaving in and out of parked cars in the parking lot, you should be ok. I do my best to not run when people show up, just to avoid issues. The last thing I want is to get kicked out of the few places I run at, so when I see kids, I pack it up and move elsewhere.

FWIW, nitro seems to get a lot more cops showing up than electric. They put a dog park in right next to the skate park I have been bashing at for 15 years. As soon as that showed up... nitro become a hot button and it seemed like cops showed up every time I ran them there. They wouldn't do anything, just show up, wave me over, see what I was doing and ask a few questions, then they would leave. After then 3rd or 4th time of that, I decided nitro is no longer a good idea there, so now I only run electric there.

I just remembered, I hit a high baseball back stop "fence" with my late drone copter. I had to climb up to get it, the cops watched from their Ford and never stepped out. It was a hard climb, all arms, as my shoes were too big to grab the holes in the chain link. Maybe they were just watching to see if I got hurt from falling. I got it down from the 30 foot climb without falling. Tough to get it free with only 1 hand while holding on with the other. Just didn't see that fence at night, and just flew right into it.

As a rule unless it’s some job worth twit.
The police aren’t worried with that. As said they’ve often watched for bit and even asked what is car is it how much etc seemingly interested , not in a probing way.
You may get a local warden of sort who knows nothing about law try to tell you to leave . Ignore them unless it’s pcso .
Royal park patrol will kick you out at worst.

it all depends on what laws are enforced by police..I heard a guys lose all his on hand rc gear at a local city by me(he was driving on paved road at 9ish at night...I know I can't run my rc gear at the metro parks by me unless a special event is happening (where we get preauthorization to run them..at skateparks I'm free to run when no 1 else is there..theres plenty of abandoned property by me ..id check with whom ever either patrols park or is in charge of parks by you (always helps to drop a name)...

I think they intended that for manned vehicles only because of people with dirt bikes and such. Also, a RC car is not a vehicle and "no motorize vehicles" do not apply to an RC. They can twist it all they like but they need a sign that says "no RC's" or w/e as such because they have "no drones" signs in places and not "no flying vehicles". A child's cart you put your child in and push is more of a vehicle then an RC. If i were there and was told to leave a public park because of an RC, i'd refute it and tell them till they put a sign that says no RC's, till then i'm staying.

Last edited:
So what was the results?? did you run it? at the asked about place?

So what was the results?? did you run it? at the asked about place?
So nope I planned to but I realized I’d have to get up at like 5 in the morning if I wanted to run it before people started showing up since it’s the only park in my area. I it’s still dark then and I have night blindness and halos around lights especially at night do to Some eye damage from plasma cutting without proper eye protection in the past. So I don’t feel safe driving in the dark and it would be hard to see my rc car anyway so I never did. but I found a much better off-road spot the other day when driving with no people and and a old metal rusted ramp someone put there years ago I can ramp my slash off of. So I no longer have a need for the park.