Western Robotics BECs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychoswat

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Anybody have tried using Western Robotics BECs on Surface RC? They are praised by the RC planes/helis communities..

Looking to get one of those Super Mini Bec G2 ( https://www.wr-store.com/product_in...ni-bec-p-78?osCsid=53j8q7khn8503nodg5o8ujvi30 ) to power a promodeler DS1155 Servo on the XMAXX plugging both of the output wires to the High volt Rx bypass adapter ( https://www.promodeler.com/10A-HV2SV ).

According to WR operating manual ( http://western-robotics.com/mt-content/uploads/2021/04/hbecm_manual_print.pdf ) it states that long duration of 10A continuous usage should be used with directed force air ventilation, surface steering servos obviously won’t be at full stall all the time but would it still pose an issue without a fan blowing directly on to the Bec?

Sorry for the long post, any experience with WR BECs would be appreciated

Not sure why you are looking at that particular BEC. The Castle BEC 2.0 is more than capable of driving an xmaxx servo and its half the price. Is there a particular reason you're looking at that particular BEC?

https://www.amazon.com/Castle-Creations-CSE010-0153-00-Waterproof-Regulator/dp/B01N5DB3OT

I run Castle BEC 2.0 Waterproof in my Arrma RC’s, they are good with up to 8-10amps of stall current. But the promodeler is rated at 1155oz/in so I would imagine it will max out the current on Castle BECs, and seeing a lot of guys in forums burnt up their Castle pro BECs in their planes/helis. Made me wanna give the western robotics a try ..
Certainly doesn’t want the BEC to fail and outputting all of the voltage [8s] to the servo…

Last edited:
I read this earlier and also wondered why this bec?.. for 90 bucks Id really look at something different . especially if you think your gonna be needing more than 10 amp. I use and have been using what I call the Xmas tree cuz the lights on it go on more as in lights as power increases. Its a 20 amp . larger than what you listed but gets the job done and never needs a fan.... just my 3 cents( herd this coin is going away due to its almost 7 cents to make) from wife way up in Giant bank lol...I've use 18 of these about 6 years on oldest with zero failures and have some HiTec servos that do use 12 amps on a 180 .. not even counting what a 90 tabletop up n down needs.anyway if you have extra bucks why not spend it.(who cares) had castles fail all the time Ill never use another castle bec or whatever its called

I read this earlier and also wondered why this bec?.. for 90 bucks Id really look at something different . especially if you think your gonna be needing more than 10 amp. I use and have been using what I call the Xmas tree cuz the lights on it go on more as in lights as power increases. Its a 20 amp . larger than what you listed but gets the job done and never needs a fan.... just my 3 cents( herd this coin is going away due to its almost 7 cents to make) from wife way up in Giant bank lol...I've use 18 of these about 6 years on oldest with zero failures and have some HiTec servos that do use 12 amps on a 180 .. not even counting what a 90 tabletop up n down needs.anyway if you have extra bucks why not spend it.(who cares) had castles fail all the time Ill never use another castle bec or whatever its called
What is the xmax tree?? Lol

I run Castle BEC 2.0 Waterproof in my Arrma RC’s, they are good with up to 8-10amps of stall current. But the promodeler is rated at 1155oz/in so I would imagine it will max out the current on Castle BECs, and seeing a lot of guys in forums burnt up their Castle pro BECs in their planes/helis. Made me wanna give the western robotics a try ..
Certainly doesn’t want the BEC to fail and outputting all of the voltage [8s] to the servo…
The 1155 has a 7A draw at full stall. The 2.0WP should be fine. Its capable of 9A continuous and 15A peak. If you wanted to go with an even higher rated BEC for $40 from Castle you could also go with the CC BEC Pro. Its capable of 11A continuous and 20A peak.

To answer your question though you wont be pulling 10A with that servo and you certainly wont be doing it continuously so my educated guess is it will be fine without a fan. That being said, its also something that I would watch temps on it the first couple of runs to make sure. I'm fairly confident though that none of the BECs mentioned here are going to break a sweat with that servo in an Xmaxx.

Just out of curiousity did you read where you have to figure out a mod to make that servo work in an Xmaxx? They actually recommend a DS930 instead for that kit. Just putting it out there in case you didnt see that.

The 1155 has a 7A draw at full stall. The 2.0WP should be fine. Its capable of 9A continuous and 15A peak. If you wanted to go with an even higher rated BEC for $40 from Castle you could also go with the CC BEC Pro. Its capable of 11A continuous and 20A peak.

To answer your question though you wont be pulling 10A with that servo and you certainly wont be doing it continuously so my educated guess is it will be fine without a fan. That being said, its also something that I would watch temps on it the first couple of runs to make sure. I'm fairly confident though that none of the BECs mentioned here are going to break a sweat with that servo in an Xmaxx.

Just out of curiousity did you read where you have to figure out a mod to make that servo work in an Xmaxx? They actually recommend a DS930 instead for that kit. Just putting it out there in case you didnt see that.
That’s good to know where’d you find that information may I ask? I couldn’t find it anywhere on promodelers website about the full stall current draw, so I just assumed the current draw based on an MKS HBL 599 servo I owned, that thing has a 11Amp draw for a 583oz/in…

promodelers website was confusing yes, but they have released a combo for the xmaxx consisting of the beam mod and the servo mount adapter mod (PDRS7749X mount-adapter) to make everything plug and play.. (I think). https://www.promodeler.com/DS1155X they didn’t mention about it in their DS1155 servo product description though

Its all right there in the description section of the servo my dude.

Heres the warning about installing it in an xmaxx right above the pic of the servos on that page you linked for the servo.
Capture.JPG

and heres the part right below the pic of them talking about the 7A stall current draw.
Capture2.JPG

Its all right there in the description section of the servo my dude.

Heres the warning about installing it in an xmaxx right above the pic of the servos on that page you linked for the servo.
View attachment 128912

and heres the part right below the pic of them talking about the 7A stall current draw.
View attachment 128914
Ahh yes totally missed it. Thanks for that! Any of the BECs will do in this case then, that must be some efficient servo putting out 1155 with just 7A current 😮

Yep the servo will not work with traxxas servo adapter. https://www.promodeler.com/DS1155X but this will do, they custom made an adapter just for the DS1155

Back