Were is all this oil coming from!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TearfullAngelSTC

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recent took off my skid plates to install somthing and knoticed all this oil:

DSC00035.gif

DSC00038.gif

DSC00037.gif

DSC00036.gif

Only thing i can think off is mayb a fuel leak but i havent lost any.

diff oil whould make sense, check your shocks also, there are not many places where you will find oil.

I can't help but notice the dry rectangular spot on the skidplate... so it may not be the diff oil.

How's the front skidplate? Dry? Perhaps there's a leak in the fuel tubing near the engine.

I know it isnt my shocks. I'd think it would be hard for that much oil to leak out of my shocks, and it wouldv'e never gotten to the skidplate. =)

Were is the differential oil located?

my guess is oil. That big gear you see when you take off your skid is the diff gear. In side of that is the diff oil. You papergasket probaly got meesed up. Take your diff off and check it out!

poop is it that important? i just finshed builing this PieceOfSht and it messes up on me.
I feel like ignoring it..

If it is diff oil, and your diff runs dry, expect to be rebuilding them in a short while. You built it completely as a kit? If so, do you remember putting a gasket in the diff when you assembled them?

How much fuel have you run through it? It's not very dusty, and dust would have stuck to all that oil. What does it smell like? Oil from the exhaust would have a recognizable smell, and shock oil has no smell.
It's hard to imagine that much oil with so little dirt, so it collected there pretty quickly.

This is a savage 21 RTR just hopped up alot. I never took the diff apart b4.

I also cleen my truck alot.. It did smell, but i have allergies so i can't really tell what it smelled like.

I'm thinking bout taking the fuel tank off and replacing the tubing. I dont think i have anymore tho.

I can't tell, are all those pics the rear of the truck? Do you drive in dirt or on pavement? How much fuel did you run through it? Do you notice any oil near the exhaust port or anywhere on the engine?

The oil in the fuel looks kind of clear like that once the methanal is burned out of it. Mine had oil all over the rear, not quite that bad, but it was due to a screwed up header gasket.

The pic is the rear of the truck. (wheelie bar pic should tell this)
I accually havent drove the truck in awile due to my RB hyper valve being defective.
its not the shocks or exhaust, it did have a oil smell.
When i wiped it, it looked light yellow on a napkin.

I decided to put the stuff back on the truck, considering that i never opend the diff b4, it shouldnt have leeked out, ill get a new fuel tubing. i hope its not the diff.

Besides, does the diff even hold THAT much oil in it?

Considering the front and rear skidplates of a savage are identical, I wasn't sure if you were posting pics of parts from both the front and rear of the truck or just the rear. There are 4 pics...

There are only so many places the oil could have come from. Either the diff cup, shocks, fuel tank, fuel lines, engine and exhaust. It should be relatively easy to narrow it down by looking at the top and figureing out where the oil starts.

Did you happen to pull the engine to see if it's leaking from it? Since you've ruled out everything else other than the diff, that's about the only place it could be coming from. Either that or you drove it through a puddle of clean oil...

I'm thinken he drove it threw a puddle of clean oil while doing a wheeling and the only part that touched was near the difff.......................................ummmmmmmm...............................go head and take your diff off

Where is your exhaust blowing out? Is it a stock setup? If you have a different pipe on it, it's possible that the exhaust is getting sucked under there while you're running it.

Since he has stated that he has never opened the diffs and it is a Savage 21 RTR, then it would have had diff grease instead of diff oil in the diffs. So it could not have come from the diff.

See i did not know the the 21 had greese and not fluid. Sorry for the confusion. My next thought would be exhaust greese.

Exhaust oil would be my guess as well.

Its my fuel line. TY

Glad you got it fixed. That fuel makes a mess when it dries...