Went to the Tiltyard this weekend!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys,

I went to my first RC Pro series race this past weekend at the Tiltyard in Dayton VA. It was the first time I have ever been around sponsored drivers and man what a difference in the level of competition over a club race, which up until now is all I can compare it to. The equipment these guys were using and just the setup of their pit areas was completly different. I also noticed that almost nobody was running Associated anything... it was all Losi, Mugen and XRay. Is Associated just crap anymore these days? Also I noticed not one person used Proline tires... all AKA? Never heard of them before. Anyway I didn't race I pitted for my buddy who won all 4 events, Short Course, Pro Buggy, Pro Truck, and EBuggy. I was impressed! I can't say anything except I was on the winning crew! LOL It was a nice dry day but just before Pro Buggy started it rained its butt off! Then an hour latter they ran, in what was the most sloppy race I have ever seen! I can't believe they ran the race in those conditions. I guarantee that everyone was going to have to do a complete tear down and rebuild of their buggies and replace every single bearing. Here are a few pics.

IMG_20130629_141455_911_zps657aaf74.jpg

IMG_20130629_141458_816_zps24ca36da.jpg

IMG_20130629_152300_125_zps7b094824.jpg

IMG_20130629_152311_816_zpsf4ebab7d.jpg

IMG_20130629_152326_820_zpsc69e357d.jpg

Before the Pro Buggy Amain...

IMG_20130629_195150_435_zpsbf53e6dd.jpg

After....

IMG_20130629_201646_678_zpsd505a1e7.jpg

The trait I noticed most with all the pro drivers I have seen is that they are consistent lab after lap.

Impressive to watch for sure.

The trait I noticed most with all the pro drivers I have seen is that they are consistent lab after lap.

Impressive to watch for sure.

Yes... I noticed that was well. At the club races guys fly over the jumps... flying high... the pros they barely get off the ground. The lap times were very consistant and all the drivers were that way so the competition was very close and the racing was something to watch!

---------- Post added at 4:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:16 PM ----------

Wow, that's a really nice set up and a well groomed track.

The track was setup perfect and I love all the elevation changes!

The X-Ray buggies are great. I owned one for a while, but ended up selling it since I don't race. They are top-quality kits, though. I also liked the after picture. Can you blow it up to poster-size so we can put in front of Rolex's recliner in the mods' lounge?

The X-Ray buggies are great. I owned one for a while, but ended up selling it since I don't race. They are top-quality kits, though. I also liked the after picture. Can you blow it up to poster-size so we can put in front of Rolex's recliner in the mods' lounge?

I was worried about posting that picture. I didn't know if Rolex would be able to handle it. Looks like he did just fine though!

So is proline and associated stuff just "hobby grade" these days? It was wild to see not one associated rig or proline tire all weekend!

Associated seems to be recycling the same stuff they have had for several years with all of the .2 kits T4.2, SC10.2, B4.2, etc.... If they don't make anything new they get stale after a while. Even the new MT they have is just a revamped electric version of the MGT. Proline tires that I see at the LHS are all based around bashing treads/tires. When I go to the "local" track I will typically see quite a few more AKA's and even Duratrax tires more so than Proline

That looks like a blast. When are you upgrading your home track like that one? :D

Associated seems to be recycling the same stuff they have had for several years with all of the .2 kits T4.2, SC10.2, B4.2, etc.... If they don't make anything new they get stale after a while. Even the new MT they have is just a revamped electric version of the MGT. Proline tires that I see at the LHS are all based around bashing treads/tires. When I go to the "local" track I will typically see quite a few more AKA's and even Duratrax tires more so than Proline

With heritage like associated you would think more folks would trust them. I have always raced them and faired well....at the club level anyway. Kyosho was also notably missing.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

That looks like a blast. When are you upgrading your home track like that one? :D

Well I'm only missing a lot more banners.....about 50 ft more length on the drivers stand...a timing system.....a pa system....and about 400 loads of dirt! Maybe have it done this weekend?:D. Oh.... and lights!

What about the Jumbotron and the motorized recliners for the mods???

What about the Jumbotron and the motorized recliners for the mods???

Ok... if you insist! It will push back the deadline a day though. :D

Back