Water resistant servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just bought a Hitec 985MG servo and I was wondering if I could make it water resistant with some Permatex gasket compound (it's like RTV if it's what I think it is)?

you could, just the bottom, to seal up the bottom of the servo case. you couldn't put it around the servo horn.. I've been putting vaseline where the horn hooks up.. no problems yet.

You can always place an O ring around the gear. Some old schoolers would dip their servos in Plasti-Dip to seal 'em up.

i must be an old shooler...cause that what i do. colored plasti dip. just the dip the whole servo in the can (with an old horn and screw in place) let it dry and then carefully cut the dip around the spline opening. you can use vaseline around the spline open just becareful to watch the dirt build up.

Last edited:
The 985MG has an o-ring built in around the output shaft and the case parts. I'm not sure, but I want to say it also has o-rings on the case screws.

The only place I recall putting RTV on my two were around the power lead grommet and I tried to work some into the wire leading into the grommet.

The primary reason I buy the 985's and promote them so much is due to the o-ring on the output shaft. There aren't a lot of $70 servos that do that... well, that and have 172oz/.13 sec @ 6V ratings.

Mine have been practically submerged in water. I ran my aftershock last year in the snow/slush/rain/wet grass and I hit it with a garden hose in the summer. I just make sure to at least blow the standing water off of the servos when I park it. No point in tempting fate completely! ;)

I use the 985MG primarily as a t/b servo due to them almost always standing up, so water rests on them and gets into them more frequently than steering servos. I've only had one or two steering servos go bad with general RTV on the case halves/screws/lead and an o-ring under the horn. Been bashing for 8+ years in all conditions. I've gone through 14-15 throttle servos though with the same treatment. That stopped when I bought my first 985MG before running my aftershock last winter. Didn't even have so much as a glitch then or now.

Sorry... ranting/rambling...

Last edited:
I learned something new today. Yeah, olds!!!
I have my moments! ;)

I should have elaborated on the RTV. Make sure you use sensor safe stuff. Normal RTV has an acidic gas that emanates as it cures. This is bad for electronics. Makes the boards corrode and could cause failure.

I just use the same sensor safe high temp copper stuff I use to seal up my engines.

The 985MG has an o-ring built in around the output shaft and the case parts. I'm not sure, but I want to say it also has o-rings on the case screws.

The only place I recall putting RTV on my two were around the power lead grommet and I tried to work some into the wire leading into the grommet.

The primary reason I buy the 985's and promote them so much is due to the o-ring on the output shaft. There aren't a lot of $70 servos that do that... well, that and have 172oz/.13 sec @ 6V ratings.

Mine have been practically submerged in water. I ran my aftershock last year in the snow/slush/rain/wet grass and I hit it with a garden hose in the summer. I just make sure to at least blow the standing water off of the servos when I park it. No point in tempting fate completely! ;)

I use the 985MG primarily as a t/b servo due to them almost always standing up, so water rests on them and gets into them more frequently than steering servos. I've only had one or two steering servos go bad with general RTV on the case halves/screws/lead and an o-ring under the horn. Been bashing for 8+ years in all conditions. I've gone through 14-15 throttle servos though with the same treatment. That stopped when I bought my first 985MG before running my aftershock last winter. Didn't even have so much as a glitch then or now.

Sorry... ranting/rambling...

Well, that's just awesome, lol! You are correct; I just pulled the case apart and saw the gaskets. There are little rubber things on the screws too that I presume to be gaskets. Upon further inspection I also noticed the water/dust resistant part on the box. Thanks!