Wanting to build a crawler, plz help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frpp2003d

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok I know the basics on how to put together a rc. I already own a e-revo and a new summit. I have found that integy offers a rock crawler that is a good base but isnt a complete kit. I want to build a large crawler but need some assistant, someone to point me in the right direction. Can anyone help out? Would appreciate it, I think building one would be a great way to boost my experience with rc's.

You came to the right place. Stand by and you will hear from slowngreen, abadk9420, and maybe even Chip Cross.

Last edited:
I have found that integy offers a rock crawler that is a good base

Thats a negative....

Whats your budget? Remember, you get what you pay for.

I mean obviously you buy what you want but bad thing about the Integy and the other ones like you linked to, they are very cheaply made and will just fall apart fast with any kinda of good crawling...just my opinion though, you might be happy with it.

Never would have thought a kit that expensive was cheap. Guess you don't get what you pay for. Ok what kits can I look at? I'll ask about one more, axial ax10 scorpion??

the ax 10 is one of the best starter crawler rigs. Its not a super..... but its a great and capable rig.

What's considered to be a super? N why?

Here is a break down of the different classes of crawlers.

2.2 - Class 1 - Super Crawler Class:
• 2.2.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a minimum of 16 inches and a maximum of 18 inches. This is
determined by measuring from centerline of front axle stub to centerline of rear axle stub, with all the
wheels pointing straight ahead, with the vehicles suspension holding it's own weight.
• 2.2.2 - No limits on tire type or size.
• 2.2.3 - No limits to steering configuration.
• 2.2.4 - Super class bodiless over all dimension of the complete chassis must be at least 12"overall
length, 3" overall width, and 3.75" overall height
• 2.2.5 - If at any point during a run your vehicle falls out of these vehicle specs for any reason you will
be required to take a touch penalty and correct the problem.

2.3 - Class 2 – Class 2.2:
• 2.3.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 12.5 inches. This is determined by measuring
from centerline of front axle stub to centerline of rear axle stub, with all the wheels pointing straight
ahead, with the vehicles suspension holding it's own weight.
• 2.3.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 12.5 inches. This is determined by measuring
the bottom of the outer most edge of the front and rear tires while the vehicle is sitting on level
ground.
• 2.3.3 - Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be
modified provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 2.2 inches in diameter. Tires may be
modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed
outer diameter of 6 inches.
• 2.3.4 - Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering only.
• 2.3.5 - 2.2 Crawler class bodiless overall dimension of the complete chassis must be at least
8"overall length, 3" overall width, and 3.75" overall height.
• 2.3.6 - If at any point during a run your vehicle falls out of these vehicle specs for any reason you will
be required to take a touch penalty and correct the problem.

2.4 - Class 3 – Class 1.9:
If a Class 3 vehicle violates any of the following requirements it must run in Class 2
or Class 1 respectively.
• 2.4.1 - Vehicle wheelbase is limited to a maximum of 8.5 inches. This is determined by measuring
from centerline of front axle stub to centerline of rear axle stub, with all the wheels pointing straight
ahead, with the vehicles suspension holding it's own weight.
• 2.4.2 - Vehicle track width is limited to a maximum of 8 inches. This is determined by measuring the
bottom of the outer most edge of the front and rear tires while the vehicle is sitting on level ground.
• 2.4.3 - Vehicle is limited to 1.9 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. Wheels may be
modified provided that the tire bead surface does not exceed 1.9 inches in diameter. Tires may be
modified from other sized tires using only a pliable rubber but must not exceed a total uncompressed
outer diameter of 4.25 inches.
• 2.4.4 - Vehicles are limited to 2-wheel steering on front axle only.
• 2.4.5 - Vehicles are limited to the use of 2 channels radio control (one for steering & one for throttle)
only. Neither channel can be used to perform more than one function. Radio systems with more than
2 channels are allowed but only 2 channels can be used to control the vehicle.
• 2.4.6 - Vehicles are limited to 1 ESC & 1 servo only.
• 2.4.7 - Vehicles are limited to 1 motor powering both of the axles.
• 2.4.8 – No driver controlled devices, other than steering and throttle control, will be allowed.
Independent throttle control to the front or rear axles (“burn” or “dig”), winching down the axles, and
forced articulation are not allowed in this class.
• 2.4.9 – A battery is limited to 8.4 nominal voltage (7 cell nimh/nicd & 2 cell lipo/limoly).
• 2.4.10 – 1.9 Crawler class bodiless overall dimension of the complete chassis must be at least
6.75" overall length, 2.5" overall width, and 3.25" overall height.
• 2.4.11 - If at any point during a run your vehicle falls out of these vehicle specs for any reason you
will be required to take a touch penalty and correct the problem.

Last edited:
Thanks that will help, any suggestion for a good super crawler?

Not sure how good of a crawler this one is but I know it is better then the Integy one, it is sold by RC4WD http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=1021

You could also start with a set of these Super Bully axles. http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=13&products_id=845

The killer krawler I posted n someone said they were cheap I guess. But I'm not ruling anything out. I look forward to more suggestion, n thank u for everyones help thus far n to come

The killer krawler I posted n someone said they were cheap I guess. But I'm not ruling anything out. I look forward to more suggestion, n thank u for everyones help thus far n to come

Then those Super Bully Axles look like a great starting point, just find a chassis to mate them with and build all of your own custom upper and lower links.

If it were me Id buy the Bully super axles from Rc4wd that Abadk9 linked to, then just build one. But I think you should look into 2.2's too, unless your dead set on a bigger rig. I've had a super and it was cool but finding terrain to have fun with it on is harder than you think and I live in a rock infested state lol so rocks are not hard to find, but 2.2's are perfect. You also need to think about parts availability. All the main 2.2's, Axial, Losi, Venom, Berg and Bully's are gonna be easy to get replacement and well as upgrade parts for.

If it were me Id buy the Bully super axles from Rc4wd that Abadk9 linked to, then just build one. But I think you should look into 2.2's too, unless your dead set on a bigger rig. I've had a super and it was cool but finding terrain to have fun with it on is harder than you think and I live in a rock infested state lol so rocks are not hard to find, but 2.2's are perfect. You also need to think about parts availability. All the main 2.2's, Axial, Losi, Venom, Berg and Bully's are gonna be easy to get replacement and well as upgrade parts for.

Ok very good point n well proven, I live in Yakima Washington n we have miles of river were nice rocks offer a good course but part replacement n upgrade, I'm prob gonna go 2.2

I'm pretty sure I'm going to look at 2.2 rigs since they offer more. To build on my question some more can ppl give there opinions on what electronics to run on lets say the Axial 10 rig, I think thats the name of it. Also what does the term dig mean? I was hearing alot of talk over this term on another post. Probably something simple but I would like to understand the terminology if I'm going to continue my research. Most 2.2 rigs only require electronics so I need to start that reserach now, please post away with comments and recommendations. Thanks everyone, this post has been a big help.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to look at 2.2 rigs since they offer more. To build on my question some more can ppl give there opinions on what electronics to run on lets say the Axial 10 rig, I think thats the name of it. Also what does the term dig mean? I was hearing alot of talk over this term on another post. Probably something simple but I would like to understand the terminology if I'm going to continue my research. Most 2.2 rigs only require electronics so I need to start that reserach now, please post away with comments and recommendations. Thanks everyone, this post has been a big help.

For your electronics I would you with a servo with 200 oz + of Tq. For a seed control I would go with a Tekin FX-R or a Castle Creation Sidewinder. You will also need a Castle creations BEC, the Bec is like a RX pack. for the motor I would go with a 35 turn hand wound.

Dig means to lock up the rear tire to make a shaper turn. With dig you can use it a lot was like to pre load the fron tires or make a very sharp turn.

With and M.O.A motor on axle rig you can have front and rear dig which is even better for the driver.