vxl 3s esc blinking red

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm now running my vxl on 3s with 76/31 gearing. I did a small 3/4throttle run. After making sure trims were set. (sharing 1 remote 2 trucks). I was going for run 2 and noticed
It had no power. I brought it back and the esc was blinking red 2x-stop, 2x-stop. I couldnt find it in the manual.

usually red flashing means low voltage cutoff is working. Make sure your pack is chaged fully. But not sure on flashing twice then stopping, might not be getting a good signal from the receiver or maybe the button on the esc is stuck down?

The odd thing is that when it flashes like that. Its like driving on mode3. 50%/100% 50%. Meaning
Fwd/brk/rev.... any ideas.. I'm thinkn motor overload because of gearing. Hope not

---------- Post added at 5:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:14 PM ----------

Also does it on 2s.

try to set you throttle end points again and see what happens.

Last edited:
Is it a fast blink, or a slow blink? Fast blink is thermal shutdown, slow blink is LVC. What type of surface are you running it on making those speed passes? High drag surfaces like grass and that gearing will thermal it pretty quickly.

Here's the user manual for the VXL system

http://www.traxxas.jp/products/pdf/ESC/KC1097_VXL3sINST_070706.pdf

Also, wanted to add that is some really tall gearing. If you're simply going for top speed runs, it's much easier on the motor and ESC to slowly ramp up to about half your top speed then punch it rather than just nail it with a tall gear ratio out of the hole. Also, with really tall gearing, you'll probably only get a few runs, then have to stop and let things cool down.

Last edited:
Not sure if fast or slow. Ill look today. I run on pavement. Or at least start there. Lol. I hafta ease in the throttle or ill either flip or spin out. I check motor after every run and allow cool time. I'm starting
To think gearing is to much. However, that setup is in the manual.

I got it. Changed transmitter batts. N reprogrammd esc. Hit 54 today I'm pleased. For now i need warmer weather so tires have more purchase. A man has got to have purchase lol.....

Keep an eye on motor temps. That gearing on 3S will overheat that motor in warmer temps.

Have been thanks budd. Gearing only allows a few runs but those runs turn heads. QUICKLY.. LOL...

Back