Vintage Cox Dune Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watertrucker

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Picked up a Cox .049 Dune Buggy on eBay a couple weeks back. Finally had a chance today to try to fire it up. Glow plug was bad, replaced it, but apparently the former owner let it sit for a long time with fuel in it. Tank was completely plugged up. Took it all apart and cleaned it up. Put it all back together and it started but wouldn't run. Was spitting out fuel from air intake. Ordered new reed and gasket set. Can't wait to get it running!

Those things were cool! I hope you take a vid to post here. I have always wanted to know how those ran! Good luck!

image.jpeg Got the old Dune Buggy fired up! I ended up replacing the fuel tank and back plate. I think I'll order a piston and cylinder for it too. When it warmed up the compression dropped quite a bit. Couldn't be happier though.

Thanks cbaker65 for your generous offer, but I have an extra .049 engine that picked up. May just use the parts off of it. Gonna run the original a little more and see what happens.

Cool little buggy. I had a Vega drag car way back when... A bunch of motors and stuff... All I have left is a large and old McCoy engine now. I don't think it's actually ever been run. I know I haven't... Even screwed down, it looks like it could lift the vise and the work bench!

Cool little buggy. I had a Vega drag car way back when... A bunch of motors and stuff... All I have left is a large and old McCoy engine now. I don't think it's actually ever been run. I know I haven't... Even screwed down, it looks like it could lift the vise and the work bench!
Got any pics of that oldie and the McCoy?
I had one of the cars with the .049 on the back with a pusher prop. Just needed a a big nail, a tether and a parking lot. Oh, let's not forget that big Ray-O-Vac dry cell for the glow plug. It weighed 3 or 4 times as much as the car.
No6-1DRays.jpg

I'll have to dig it out of storage for pics... That might be a lil bit but I'll try to remember. Its pretty cool for an old piece! Yah, that battery was STUPID for its purpose but did the job! I wish I still had the rest of the stuff... Sound like so many ppl I know... Oh I had a 70 442 455 convertible... Should ave kept that... Lol!

@Rolex
So I went digging thru a few boxes (out of 100,00 or so...:confused:) looking for the McCoy... I didn't find it yet... BUT...
0927160055.jpg
0927160056.jpg

I CAN'T believe I found this car!!! I thought this thing was 'liberated' after a move some MANY years ago!!! :D So it looks like I'll be sending this to you for a thorough detailing!!! I can't wait to slap an esc and radio in this!!! It was a BLAST to run!!!
(I'll continue the search when more time allows)

image.jpeg
Been getting into the 1/2 A stuff. Re-living my childhood I guess, but having a blast. Thought I would post a pic of the Cox models I've picked up.

Wow!!! Blast from the past for sure!!! Loving it too!!!. If I'm not mustaken, they actually did have an RC Cox buggy. I believe it was a fan car rather similar to the yellow one in your pic. Just throwing that out there... Your collection is very cool!

As long as there's a large sand pit and a smooth parking lot with NOTHING else around... What could POSSIBLY go wrong??? :hehe:

I have MASTERED the art of finding flaws in driving surfaces, finding hidden obstacles and of course, by far my best, the ar5 of blaming them all for any and all mistakes causing any difficulty or damage that would seem as driver error to the untrained eye!:hehe:

Back