Video avi/divx files

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottm

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anyone know about avi files? I downloaded an avi file of coverage of the 2005 Parker 425 desert race (http://64.235.39.68/parker.avi) to my hd. Windows media player would not play it, so I went to msn and installed wmp 10. When I tried to play the vid it said "wmp cannot find the required codec". So I installed a windows divx codec from here:

http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/

Wmp still says the same thing, can't find codec, but now I have a divx player installed. The divx player will play it, but at exactly half way it stops. I figured it cut me off to encorage upgrading to the divx pro player, so I did, and again it only plays half way through the file and stops.

But wmp still won't play the avi file. The download was supposed to make wmp play it, but all it did was install the divx player. I tried changing the file extension from .avi to .divx with no luck. What do I have to do to make wmp play avi? And any idea why the divx player plays the file exactly half way and stops?

its all in the codecs man. unfortunitly there are so many out there right now, that if you dont have the one the video was created with, your usually SOL on getting to see it. I've gathered quite a few codecs in the last 2-3 years and i still run into files i just can't play. when i get home from work ill try DLing that video and see if anything i have works for it.

I have no problem playing any type of vid files. There was no reason to upgrade to Divx pro, other than the full screen option.
I think there was a problem with your download. Delete the vid, and download it again. My Divx and Avi files both run on Windows media player with no problems.
In Divx options, you also have the ability to turn off the logo that shows up in the bottom right at every clip.

Go to download.com

Search for "divx"

Scroll down about one page and look for "DivX Player (with DivX Codec) 5.2.1".

The free version works just fine, no need the pro version unless you are going to rip dvd and convert it to Divx format.

Hope that helps.

Back