VETERANS benefits & discounts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
Thanks to all, past and present. Lately I've been finding more and more Veteran's discounts so I think we should compile what we're aware of. Just a few months ago I found out that Lowe's and Home Depot give a 10% discount on every thing you buy there. I don't know how long they've been doing it, but I've spent a fortune in both places.

I recently won a $25 gift card to Sam's Club and I was there today doing some shopping. At the register I went for my credit card and thought I'd ask about the Veteran's discount. Well, after shopping there for many years and buying the big Nathan's Coney Island hot dog and soda combination every time I leave the register, I find that you can get a free meal every time you're there. Dogs, burger, pizza, a drink, etc. You also get a $15 gift card with your annual membership. So, today I cashed in my $25 card towards my purchase, ate free and walked out with a new $15 card. It can be used toward a purchase in store or at their gas pumps.

If you know of any other places that thank the veteran's for their service, please post them here. I prefer doing business with places that return just a little appreciation for the time we gave.

EDIT:
Forget about Sam's Club.
See post #14.

Last edited:
Autozone does. I think it's 10%
I agree. Great idea @Rolex
I'll add more as I think of them.

Oh! IIRC The Toyz does a discount. Maybe it was T-Bone. I'm sure it was one or the other.

Pep Boys does 10% on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
All the major auto manufacturers have some sort of military promotion, including Harley Davidson and Victory.
Kohls, Old Navy and Aeropostle..

Oh, and AT&T and Verizon also offer a discount.

Last edited:
Amazing! Thanks for that information. I would think these places would prominently display a sign on their business to attract us.

Now I've got the grasp of this veterans thing, it is coming quite apparent that you lot over the pond seem to get very well treated and respected for serving your country- as you all should.

Lowe's and Home Depot offer it woth an ID.

Autozone does. I think it's 10%
That will now be my auto supply store of choice. Thanks.

Kohls, Old Navy
Bummer. I just bought 2 Izod sweat shirts there last week.
Pep Boys you won't get me into. I've heard too many stories. They are described as a rip off due to their high prices.

That will now be my auto supply store of choice. Thanks.

Bummer. I just bought 2 Izod sweat shirts there last week.
Pep Boys you won't get me into. I've heard too many stories. They are described as a rip off due to their high prices.
Lol my brother was a commercial sales manager for Pep Boys until he got his Tech position at Stout Field in Indy. Even he wouldn't buy much there.

Home Depot and Lowes as mentioned above DO offer a discount but your status determines WHEN you get the discount.

Home Depot Military/Veteran Discount Policy

They offer a 10 percent discount, up to a $500 maximum, to all active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID, every day of the week.

All other military veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day.

Lowe’s Military/Veteran Discount Policy

They offer an all day, every day 10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends.

But please remember when asking about the discount, if the employee does not understand, do not make a big deal out of it. Ask to speak with the manager, and have your ID with you. And it must be a valid Government issued ID. It seems sometimes the employees get confused as to which policy a person falls under, which is understandable if they never served. So please be patient and courteous when asking about the discount.

These two companies have offered these discounts to the Military community as a courtesy for your service and sacrifice, it is not something they are required to do by any means.

Remember if you are a Veteran, but not Active, Reserve, Retired or disabled Veteran you are only authorized the discount on the above stated Holidays.

If you Are Active, Reserve, Retired, or a Disabled Veteran with a valid ID you can get the discount any day of the week.

I just got back from Sam's Club. After dropping over a hundred bucks I went to the snack bar for my usual Nathan's Coney Island hot dog and an ice tea.
I showed my ID card at the register and she told me they no longer give military or veteran discounts. I said, "Shame on you".
I even went to the customer courtesy desk and was told the same. I told him I'd look into shopping at Costco in the future. I said it has nothing to do with saving a buck fifty, but it's such a tiny little way to say "Thank you" to someone who served their country AND spends money in their store. It had nothing to do with NOT giving that little perk, but the fact that they REVOKED something that was already in place is what got me.

Last edited:
I looked up Sam's Club on face book and was treated to an opening page of a little kid hugging someone in camo with the title "We love our military".
Well, what perfect timing. I added a comment about my trip and the lack of a snack to a vet and the reply was that it would be looked into.
========================================================================================
They love the military? I was just at Sam's club yesterday and after checking out I went to the snack bar for my usual hot dog and when I showed my Veteran's ID card I was told they don't do that any more. Shame on you. It's such a tiny thanks to someone who had served their country.
Yesterday at 3:20pm

Sam's Club
Thank you for your feedback. We will pass this over to our internal teams.

Seriously, if you're a veteran or active military, go to that Facebook page and leave a comment. Hell, even if you're NOT military you should tell them to reinstate that tiny little perk. If they never did it before, no biggie, but since it's something they used to do and now they stopped it, it's an insult.

Here's the first of the freebies for Veterans' Day 2016:
http://bit.ly/2ezBdDw

Here's another:
Texas Roadhouse is offering a free lunch to veterans with proof of service at their locations tomorrow between 11 am-2 pm. See your local restaurant for details.

Last edited:
Starting on Veteran's Day this year, all honorably discharged military veterans will be able to shop at the exchange online stores only. See AAFES.com for details.

Starting on Veteran's Day this year, all honorably discharged military veterans will be able to shop at the exchange online stores only (unless you have a valid military ID). See AAFES.com for details.

I been getting my 10% at lowes for years now. its awesome as i bougt a 180K pile of sticks and theres lots of improvements to do and when i go to lowes its usually a HUGE bill

Back