VCS Shock mod for Micro RS4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBlazer

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well I have my Micro setup for a week now so it is time to mod and hop-up the hell out of it. I know I have said it before but if you don't own a Micro RS4 you really need to address why you don't. I started with nitros and thought why even bother with electrics, but then Eddy (damn him, damn him straight to hell) was showing me his collection of RC's and the micro caught my eye and ever since I bought it and my off-roads are clean and put up. My micro does about 30mph and will spin the wheels almost all the way up to its top speed. I am about halfway through the foam tires I bought. Anyways I got off topic so here is the mod

A VCS shock is a 1/10 1/12 rear shock. It is made by AE and can be baught here: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2792&P=7

Now this shock takes some deffinte modding but I'll walk you through it and its not entirely to difficult.

Here is the stock shock and rear deck before the mod.
b4micro.jpg

b4micro1.jpg

b4micro2.jpg

I had to obviously cut the rear deck for the shock to clear.
VCS4.jpg

I just used my lexan scissors nothing special like a dremel needed but you can use one if you must.
Next I had to cut the ball end type tow hitch on the axle carrier to screw in a bigger metal ball end as the stock one attached was to small for the cup on the shock to stay on it.
VCS3.jpg

Next you need to cut 3/4 of each cup that is on either end of the VCS shock if you do not do this it will not fit.
VCS1.jpg

Next you need to screw a ball end in to the back hole of the rear upper deck (note shock used to be mounted underneath deck and not its on top.
VCS2.jpg

The shock looks really good and when I run with the body off I can actually see it actuating and working so its tight. The mod cost me $12.99 for the shock and .50 for the ball ends. It is a ver cheap mod as the rest of the micros stuff is more expensive than I thought. You would think it's cheaper becuase it's smaller but no such luck.

Dude, I knew this would happen when you got the kit. Nice job, BTW. I'm running a GH rear shock, but my micro has the HPI mod motor, so that's enough for it at the moment. Pirata has my crystals, so the micro is boned for now.

When are you gonna do the 540 mod? It'll be balistic:thumbup:

Also, I'd consider doing the aluminum thing on the front end. I did and it does wonders for power distribution and handling. Here's some pix of mine in another thread:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5385 post #8.

It's not all that expensive to upgrade the front end, and it does wonders for the car.

dude that driveby poop is funny as hell! Just wait until I get my Penguin chassis who ha! I was driving my Micro at the local school last night with my old lady and she even loves the little bastard. I smacked a wall @ about 30mph because it seems like after some runtime the rear diff loosens up and it wants to torque steer on power. So I have to take the whhel off by the motor and tighen the wheel bolt a little. The micro was fine after the accident only a small scratch in the body. I was impressed as surely I thought the thing woud explode into confeti.

I admit being a non-micro RS-4 owner and also I am a mook but where are the shocks? I mean did they put micro invisible shocks on there?

HB, if you haven't already, and want to know how I did the Hit and Run vid, goto http://www.error401.com/rs4/multimediaindex.htm There are some other vids there also, nothing to get excited about, and some pix of the camera that I used. It's a trip to drive the car by watching it on a TV. Just add a VCR and voila, onboard micro movies. Most of the stuff that's posted on my site is a bit dated, and I plan on revamping the site with more current info/pix/vids/ect, just gotta find the time, or start getting serious about my coffee intake.

Also, glad to hear that your micro is ok after that sudden stopage. As for the diff, maybe setting it and putting a tiny drop of CA to lock it. That's about all I can think of.

EP, check out the thread that I linked to in my first post in this thread. FastEddy and I have some really good pix of the micros. The front shocks are nearly at the centerline and the upper A arms are cantilever. The rear shock is a mono shock. My micro has a stock setup, with the shock under the rear deck. Blazer has a 1/10th scale mono shock the rides above the rear deck (due to higher weight of a bigger motor).

Back