Vaterra Twin Hammers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The first shipment of the new Vaterra line finally arrived at my LHS. I was the first to pick up the newly released 1/10 scale twin hammers rock racer. I have heard great reviews thus far on vaterras new rock racer and could not wait to try one out for myself. My first impressions in stock form were pretty good, it comes with a spektrum DX3E radio and a water proof receiver, speed is decent (faster than the summit) and the handling is what you would expect from a straight axle truck. I immediately ditched the stock dynamite brushed esc/motor combo for a 1/10 vellinion system I had laying around. On 2s, that is exactly what this truck needed, twice the speed with double the torque! I can not wait to try it out with a 3s batt. The 2 speed tranny worked flawlessly, however, I would have liked to seen a lower gear ratio for crawling. I have not given it a thorough bashing yet, so I can not attest to its durability, but so far I am loving this truck! More reviews are to come.
IMG_1959_zps15fc321a.jpg

IMG_1958_zps695b7271.jpg

IMG_1957_zpsb96dc4bf.jpg

IMG_1962_zps84af9f0b.jpg

IMG_1956_zpsad437e45.jpg

IMG_1961_zps41999f67.jpg

IMG_1955_zpsaa6245db.jpg

IMG_1960_zpsa8dcbecc.jpg

IMG_1963_zpsc0c58195.jpg

IMG_1964_zps4e788dfe.jpg

IMG_1965_zps352914e0.jpg

IMG_1966_zps1ffe5d8a.jpg

sweat looking rig man. congrats!

I'm jealous for sure, been eyeballing one, congrats man! Then though the IFS front wouldn't be great, until reading up some more, and now I think it would be a good compromise with the live axle rear, especially with a brushless setup for higher speed running. Check your end points on your shift servo, I've read numerous reports of them burning up due to being improperly adjusted. Let us know how it holds up, I think it would make a great basher / mild crawler for here at the house.

I have on order a couple 3s batterys, 31t pinion and 76t spur. That should give me a little more top end. Aside from jumping it off the deck and a couple snowbanks, this thing is holding up very well. Nothing broken yet, but I won't be able to really test its durabilty until all this snow melts away. Being how small and light this thing is, I don't see it being real easy to break. As long as the tranny and diffs can hold up to 3s, I think this thing will be pretty bullet proof.

Gratz on the new kit! The Rock racers arent really my style but that one does look pretty sweet!

What's with the servo by the motor? Is that for steering? Can't see the linkage... SO CONFUSED!?!?

Probably more realistic looks?

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

That servo goes to the tranny, its for shifting from high to low.

It's to shift the trans from low to high. The steering servo is a bit more forward and below the shift servo.

Oh yeah, I didn't see the steering servo under the receiver before. Strangely built rig. Is that a type of crawler hybrid?

"Rock racer"

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

Awesome rig man that's what I'm getting when my taxes show.

You wont be dissapointed. I would have to say this is a better version of the Wraith for speed and handling. It does have quite a bit of body roll with the rear axle when coming out of a turn on the throttle, but with the IFS, it's a pretty good compromise between speed and crawling.

I got my 3s batterys this week and couldn't wait to try them out...
Ramp...
IMG_1967_zps675ab959.jpg

Meet tree...
IMG_1968_zpsd443f897.jpg

IMG_1969_zps330cc3f1.jpg

IMG_1970_zps6820ce63.jpg

End result, blown seals on the front shocks.

Lol aren't trees just peachy? I changed my mind, didn't like the long low rear cage look or the revo style ifs. But i would consider one down the road when the real reviews from long use, oh and some nice after market parts start surfacing.

They must be good if they can climb trees.

I would say it has done more flying than it has crawling. ;)
Turns out it wasn't the shocks but the front upper brace that cracked. Probably when I hit that tree.
IMG_1972_zps78529c34.jpg

Man, this is the first time I've been on this thread and seen pics ( I use my phone) to check up here on RCNT.

Any updates on her, I wanna see her on some rocks, and not in a tree :hehe:

Back