Vacuum mold Q Baja Shorty

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunedfrog

Kermit the frog is a sissy.
Supporter
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
My 1/5 scale gas Baja has a Q Baja shorty kit I installed so it is a few inches shorter than the original. I wanted to paint my own body but you can't buy clear Q Baja bodies, only pre-painted. I decided to try vacuum molding and I think is going to work, I am happy with the results so I'll start building the vacuum mold machine later today.

IMG_0186.JPG

Fresh out of the mold.

IMG_0185.JPG

After cleaning up the edges a little bit. I still want to fill in some bad spots and places I slipped with the knife but I am happy with it...

IMG_0187.JPG

so you found no 7 days after shrinkage when that plaster n cardboard completely dried out.(i have found some )

What a fun project bro. I have Blender installed on my laptop and would love to get into playing around with making bodies. I could 3d print the molds, but Blender is a tough program to learn.

Worst part about this is drilling the holes in the vacuum machine.
@tntpoof , with this type of body, shrinkage shouldn't be an issue. Even if it does shrink, it will still fit on the Baja. It is a horseshoe shape and as far as height of it, it can vary without worry.
The cardboard is only used as damming material because of the horseshoe shape. The actual mold is solid plaster.

Last edited:
Worst part about this is drilling the holes in the vacuum machine.
@tntpoof , with this type of body, shrinkage shouldn't be an issue. Even if it does shrink, it will still fit on the Baja. It is a horseshoe shape and as far as height of it, it can vary without worry.
The cardboard is only used as damming material because of the horseshoe shape. The actual mold is solid plaster.
I built a vacuum forming bed using 2x4 to frame it and used peg board on top and bottom.

For smaller objects, I would tape over the outer holes not being used to have good suction. You can also use 2 vacuums st once if needed, as long as you can feed them.

I used to get polycarbonate sheet from onlinemetals.com

I built a vacuum forming bed using 2x4 to frame it and used peg board on top and bottom.

For smaller objects, I would tape over the outer holes not being used to have good suction. You can also use 2 vacuums st once if needed, as long as you can feed them.

I used to get polycarbonate sheet from onlinemetals.com
Thanks for the info. I have the bed all made up but I need to go buy a new shop vac tomorrow. Mine is getting tired.

First attempt at the mold was a failure because my cast was far too cold and the polycarbonate turned pretty hard just as soon as it touched the mold.
No big deal because honestly, I half expected that. Next time I will lay it on a heat register for a few hours before I try again.
I did buy this one just in case I ruined the red one and they made a mistake and sent the wrong color. I ordered red but I really liked the green so I kept it.
I also ordered some green wheel nuts.

IMG_0190.JPG

There is just something about this green on a RC car. I love it.

Looks great. Resembles Kawasaki racing colors.

Back