Using super glue to glue tires?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JESSE G

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was wondering if using super glue would work to glue tires to aluminum rims? :shrug:

It will work just fine.
Make sure you clean both the tires and wheels with warm soapy water first.

I don't know about the allum. rims, but I also use a sand drum bit for a Dremel tool, and scuff up the mating serfaces.

I don't thing that will be necessary unless they are highly polished or plated.
Aluminum fairly porous and should give the CA something to grab onto. Use a thin CA and everything should be OK.

If I were you I would contact RamTech and get a professional opinion. Its great to have the manufacturer of aluminum wheels as an active member here.

Let us know what his recommendations are.

You can use any of the CA glues for aluminum rims. Check with the manufacturer to see if they are using any type of anodize or Chrome. You will need to get some bite into the raw and anodized aluminum, so best is to sand or wire wheel the bead area. I leave a rubber band in the bead area of my Chrome rims, so you take the band off,a dn there is raw aluminum underneath.

Once you have the bead area roughened up, you can use glue primer or alcoh9ol to make sure its clean.

My personal preference is thick CA, like Loctite 454. Then a think CA like Losi tire glue to seal any mistakes.

Do not use cheap Wal-mart crazy glue. That has alot of acid in it, to keep the shlef life. The acid is bad for aluminum and even rubber.

You also have to clean the tire very well. Tires like Traxxas are closer to rubber, but ones like Pro-lines are clsoer to plastic. Clean the bead area with alcohol or soapy water to remove the mold release.

I have a section on my wbsite called TIPS, look for it at RAMTech-RC

Just a hair off topic, but still related. A guy at the track had his new tires peel off the rims today. All the super glue was on the rubber, but not on the rims.
Plastic rims, mirror chrome finish. The chrome finish needs to be scuffed up for the glue to stick to it.

Thanks for the info guys I think I will go ahead and go to my hobby store and purchase the right type of tire glue. I just had super glue on hand and I will also scuff up the surfaces. Right now I'm running the truck with stock tires and rims and no glue but I'm sure they probally are slipping. I have the new aluminum rims coming in the mail. I love this site so far I have found out how to glue my tires, tune the engine, learned about my tranny and that my T-maxx is a .15 not a 1.5 lol I just got it 2 days ago used and had no clue what I was doing with the help from this site I had it waking up my neigborhood as it tore down the street I LOVE THIS TRUCK before this I had a Rustler electric with every upgrade possible and just wasn't satisfied this thing will stomp a mud hole in to my rustler LOL thanks again for all the help!!!!

Hey Jesse,
If you think the .15 is fast.
Wait till you get a .21 (I know you will eventually, this stuff is like crack, addicts beware) you'll freak out on how much faster and how much more low end punch they have....