Used 3.3 with trans issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jad0001

RC Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum, thanks in advance for any advice. I know this is a great place to learn. I picked up a used 3.3 TMaxx tonight with a EZ start, tools, Nitro, everything I needed to get going expect the fwd transmission gear is toast. Reverse works but fwd is gone. (I knew this going into it, got it cheap)

My question is what is my best solution? Pick up a trans on eBay? I'd like to keep the reverse. I've read about the addition of reverse. Will buying a fwd only trans on eBay still allow me to use the reverse I have? (New to this since a Bandit years ago)

I don't mind taking it apart and replacing the gear but I don't know if that's more trouble than it's worth. Someone here with more experience can point me in the right direction here I'm sure.

Assuming the PO didn't have something set right in the first place for this to happen, any advice on that? Thanks for the help.

Chances are the forward reverse shifting servo either isn't working,isn't connected,adjusted wrong or your idle is too high......are you sure it has reverse?...the diffs could be in backward if it has an foc

Welcome to the forum. Since you bought the truck used I would go ahead and tear it down to see if there is anything else broken in there. Once you get it apart than you can decide on how your want to fix it. Ebay is a good parts resource but there are chop shops out there like Jenny's RC where you can get the part cheaper sometimes. If you get the forward only, you would not be able to use reverse.

When you roll the truck backwards the trans engages and when rolled fwd it stops. The previous own told me it had reverse also. I've got a friend at work that knows a lot about these. I'll bring it in today. I think the servos are ok because the remote makes everything move as it should with electronics only. Haven't even put gas in it...

A Black trany with reverse will NOT engage when rolled backward, unless the reverse pawl is jammed into the shift drum, only a FOC trany will.

Does it have 2 or 3 servos?

A pic is worth a thousand words, post one of the front left side of the trans.

With reverse.
019copy_zpsc9f9ac80.jpg

Without reverse.
021copy_zpsd1832a05.jpg

How do I add pictures? can't seem to add them straight off the computer. It's asking for URL and not familiar with that. Any help here?

I got the truck running and the transmission seems to be ok. The truck idles fine but when given throttle (half) it just wants to creep fwd. I think the clutch is the issue if I could upload I could show you how the clutch is missing 1 out of the 3 pads. Would replacing these parts fix this issue or should it still work with a bit of adjustment. The guy I took it to didn't seem to know exactly what was wrong with it. I've had more luck in forums anyway, a lot more knowledge here. Will work on uploading pics. Any advice on clutch adjustment appreciated. Thanks

You are correct it doesn't have reverse. Simple clutch adjustment had the truck running great til I took the bark off a tree this morning trying to get the carb right. Broke the bumper off, my first repair :) I'm used to 2 stroke dirtbike carbs and I think I went the wrong way and went too rich. After I hit the tree I cut the truck off to inspect damage and it wouldn't start back after I saw what happened. It just turns. I put a new plug in and still nothing. I'm afraid I've gone out of baseline settings and don't know how to get back...

Search this Forum and I am sure you will get some good information to get it back going. Good luck.