Upgrading an old maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanj1000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and need a little help.

I got my old maxx 2.5 out which I upgraded with a 3.3 engine after not using it it for years. I cleaned it all up got it running and it was running better then it ever wheeling everywhere until I snapped a rear axel drive shaft, both sides had fully twisted. I got new ones and within 1 tank full I've twisted and snapped those 2.
It's a standard t maxx 2.5 with a 3.3 engine. I guess the extra power is too much for the 2.5's running gear. My question is what do I need to buy to upgrade my truck to handle the extra power, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it though.

Thanks in advance:)

Cheapest best option upgrade the drive axles to the #4907 axle hub carriers and the matching axles and toe links. Ebay is your friend on those parts.

You can also get a set of steel drive shafts on ebay I think the seller is called rcdamper .they sell a full set for the 4910 including the centre's
I haven't tried them personally but I've heard good things for the price.

Thanks all for your help. I'm going to have a look on the bay, I like the thought of getting a 3.3 tranny and modifying the chassis as shown in the link I followed from nitro4910, thanks for that. I would like the 3.3 tranny because the brake assembly on the 2.5 is poor and just tears the disc up on the bolt.

Would this parts list be all Ide need:

3.3 axle drive shafts & center drive shafts
3.3 tranny
Diffs and axle carriers?
And cut chassis by the brake assembly

You need the 3.3 turnbuckles too, they are longer then the 2.5 4910 maxx's are.

If your going to go through the trouble of getting the 3.3 Transylvania, get the chassis too, they are cheap on eBay.

If it's just the brakes you don't like you can put AE MGT brakes on the maxx black trans, if you still have reverse you will have to trim the pads on the shift fork side to clear it.

I have a new unabashed 3.3 chassis

Thanks guys you been a great help, trying to source parts now. I'm in uk and uk ebay is dear for t maxx spares and some things are hard to come by. Il keep u updated.

I appreciate your help, thanks all