Unboxed high idle tmaxx 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebegsmaxx2.5

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Straight out the box trying to break in the 2.5 the idle is absolutely ridiculous. It would take off down the street if I don't apply break. If I pick up the truck it screams like crazy. I tried the applied break idle adjustment and even slightly messed with the low speed as well as adjusted the throttle arm. All has failed. I don't notice any air bubbles and the fuel cap is sealed. It is brand spanking new

Straight out the box trying to break in the 2.5 the idle is absolutely ridiculous. It would take off down the street if I don't apply break. If I pick up the truck it screams like crazy. I tried the applied break idle adjustment and even slightly messed with the low speed as well as adjusted the throttle arm. All has failed. I don't notice any air bubbles and the fuel cap is sealed. It is brand spanking new
Welcome. Did you center your servo? And some times they don't come set rite at all
Here go threw this and reset your carb and tunning guid for ya. Just incase

https://traxxas.com/support/Readjust-carburetor-factory-break-settings-Pro15-TRX-25R33

https://traxxas.com/support/Tuning-Your-TRX-25-25R-and-33-Engine-Best-Performance

Last edited:
Welcome. Did you center your servo? And some times they don't come set rite at all
No I did not. I am fairly new to this to be honest. This is my second nitro but I didn't learn mu h from the first one which I had like 17 years ago 😳

No I did not. I am fairly new to this to be honest. This is my second nitro but I didn't learn mu h from the first one which I had like 17 years ago 😳
Got to bind it first the. Take the servo arms off center your trim. To center your servo. Put the linkages back on to servo.. the carb should be completely closed when you put the linkage back on. Might have to play with the linemen a few time...go threw this bud...

https://www.rcsuperstore.com/blog/how-to-bind-your-traxxas-transmitter-to-the-receiver-/
Here go threw this and reset your carb and tunning guid for ya. Just incase

https://traxxas.com/support/Readjust-carburetor-factory-break-settings-Pro15-TRX-25R33

https://traxxas.com/support/Tuning-Your-TRX-25-25R-and-33-Engine-Best-Performance

Last edited:
Thank you will do. Any possibility it could be pulling air from somewhere right out the box??
Well personally I would have went over every screw and nut on it. Then checked all the fluids like the shock and diff oil. And went over every bearing and oiled the. As well the RTR kits no mater where from. Are really never really ready to run honestly.. also would have checked and re meshed the bell clutch and spur gear.. the Quality check at the factories are let's say not so great. To be nice... question what type of fuel are you running in it??

I am running top fuel 20%
I am very new to this as I posted previously so excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. I have absolutely no idea how to check the diff fluid without disassembling the entire truck and have the fluid just drain out. I do notice though that my spur gear ⚙ wobbles pretty badly and again not sure why or how to correct. My main issue is this screaming idle. I am going to see if the adjustments I made to the factory settings on the carb have helped later today. The high speed screw was only turned out 3 full turns and I'm not entirely sure if the low speed screw was flush or not but it is now. I adjusted the slide barrel dude on the spring side of the throttle linkage to help close the throttle better in hopes that may have just been it. If I applied the break before it would further close the carb opening and almost idle the way it should and then take off again as soon as I let off

Last edited:
Well personally I would have went over every screw and nut on it. Then checked all the fluids like the shock and diff oil. And went over every bearing and oiled the. As well the RTR kits no mater where from. Are really never really ready to run honestly.. also would have checked and re meshed the bell clutch and spur gear.. the Quality check at the factories are let's say not so great. To be nice... question what type of fuel are you running in it??
Ok so the idle is great now. Is it normal to have a little bucking when first applying throttle?? Also my spur gear wobbles all over

Ok so the idle is great now. Is it normal to have a little bucking when first applying throttle?? Also my spur gear wobbles all over
The spur wobble is from a loose slipper. And get away from the top fuel it's garbage... way to much oil. I only use it to break in engines and that's it... need fuel with a 9% - 12% oil content no more no less. The engine will run so much better man I promise you....
The buck is from the idol a little on high side.. the engine rims are up so high it engages the clutch...

The spur wobble is from a loose slipper. And get away from the top fuel it's garbage... way to much oil. I only use it to break in engines and that's it... need fuel with a 9% - 12% oil content no more no less. The engine will run so much better man I promise you....

The buck is from the idol a little on high side.. the engine rims are up so high it engages the clutch...
I'll start looking for some 12% here as soon as I get my truck back from warranty. Thanks for the help. Also gonna snag some 3 in 1

I'll start looking for some 12% here as soon as I get my truck back from warranty. Thanks for the help. Also gonna snag some 3 in 1
Omg you sent it back?? Wow it's faster easier and cheaper to fix your self. Did you even try the reverse rod?? Because that was for sure the problem. I will bet it was that....its not 12%... the fuel is 20% or 30% with 9% - 12% oil/lubricant... Odonnell's fuel, VP fuel, Bones Brew.. I run Odonnell's and just ordered some Bones brew 30% with 10% oil....

Omg you sent it back?? Wow it's faster easier and cheaper to fix your self. Did you even try the reverse rod?? Because that was for sure the problem. I will bet it was that....its not 12%... the fuel is 20% or 30% with 9% - 12% oil/lubricant... Odonnell's fuel, VP fuel, Bones Brew.. I run Odonnell's and just ordered some Bones brew 30% with 10% oil....
Hahahaha no I haven't sent it back yet just have a warranty claim set up with traxxas. I did the reverse rod this morning and it will absolutely not move any further. I have a 3 and half year old that likes to destroy the very world I live in so I don't have much time or space at the moment to fix myself. Just want it fixed right and if they can do it for 0$ than have had it I guess. I usually always fix everything myself being a mechanic by trade but this time I'm gonna sit back
Truck still does not move

Last edited:
Any more thoughts before I have to wait 2 weeks for it to return? I've watched a couple YouTube videos and some people have experienced a screw or pin shearing off inside tranny causing loss of forward

Any more thoughts before I have to wait 2 weeks for it to return? I've watched a couple YouTube videos and some people have experienced a screw or pin shearing off inside tranny causing loss of forward
I have never had any problems other then that stupid reverse rod. Sorry I personally would just pull the 8 screws and see what's going on

Back