Ultra Power charger ->Traxxas battery leads

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
Just bought the Ultra Power UP100AC Plus for a my 1st real charger. I got it to go with a 2s lipo, and a new roller project.

Anyone know if is there an available traxxas x bullett lead option? It would be for NIMH batteries that we run in a rustler. took the rustler out today and the stock 3300mah battery was a bit dogged. It had been fully charged on the basic charger/dc adapter that we’ve been using. I swapped out for the 5000mah and the car started running as expected.

I would also like to use this to discharge if we don’t run the packs all the way down.

thanks, still reading through the manual on this charger, if anyone has any tips…

This? It will work with the NiMH as it doesn't use the smart stuff like the LiPos do. Also, don't discharge the LiPos! That's only for disposal. Instead, storage charge them.

Sorry, the x was (in my mind) meant to read like Traxxas by bullet. what I meant was Traxxas on one end and bullet connectors on the other. Yes it is the ID plug.
I did a quick search not indicating it was an id connection which helps. Thank you. I assumed it was their “standard”
This? It will work with the NiMH as it doesn't use the smart stuff like the LiPos do. Also, don't discharge the LiPos! That's only for disposal. Instead, storage charge them.
Thanks, I did learn that about lipos but wanted to discharge and recharge the NIMH and get a better sense for what’s up with that particular battery.
I’m trying to learn all I can, and I’m open to any advice

Looking back My original post was not very clear…..

Last edited:
charging a nimh and putting 1 up to sit a few weeks months is not the same as a lipo. lipo needs to be in a storage charge volts..3.75 some do higher I've done lower the 1 C charge to use again and check ir if you can(some live by this I dont.some say at 7 milla ohms time 4 new battery ) I've had batteries with 25 milla ohm and run even better when ohms were less

charging a nimh and putting 1 up to sit a few weeks months is not the same as a lipo. lipo needs to be in a storage charge volts..3.75 some do higher I've done lower the 1 C charge to use again and check ir if you can(some live by this I dont.some say at 7 milla ohms time 4 new battery ) I've had batteries with 25 milla ohm and run even better when ohms were less
Do you always storage charge after use no matter what? Even if, for example you plan to run them the following day.

Also where do you charge your batteries? We live in a house without a basement and generally I was charging the nimh batteries on the counter top. Should I get a charging bag/case??

Do you always storage charge after use no matter what? Even if, for example you plan to run them the following day.

Also where do you charge your batteries? We live in a house without a basement and generally I was charging the nimh batteries on the counter top. Should I get a charging bag/case??
Storage charge it after you run it unless you're going to use it again within an hour or two. Keep the voltage between 3.75 - 3.90v per cell when not in use. I like to keep mine at 3.83v/c. I charge my LiPos on a granite countertop, I highly advise against it though, I still need to sort it out. But I charge them in a LiPo bag.

I always storage charge the batteries after we run them because I never know when we will run them again. I have been lazy at times and waited a day or two to do that, but usually our batteries are right around 3.8v/cell when we finish running them anyway.

A LiPo charge bag is not necessarily needed, as there are other options, but it is safer to use them for sure. I have seen people use bricks to build a charge cave to tuck them in, ammo cans, metal lunch boxes, etc. I have a metal Kennedy Machinist tool box that I charge my batteries on, and I store them in it as well. It's like a big ammo box with drawers, with multiple layers of steel 😉

But just know that LiPo's burn in excess of 3600° F, and steel melts around 2500° F to 2800° F. It's not likely a LiPo will burn long enough to completely melt through an ammo box, but if it is sitting on a flammable surface, an ammo box won't be foolproof. I have never had a LiPo fire, so just speculating here.

Stopped at the LHS on the way home and the owner made me the appropriate cable, as they did not have it in stock.

the stock traxxas NIMH charger runs at 4 amps, should I discharge at 4 amps also?

Back