Ugh! Starter box for RC10GT?!?!?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djbrady

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I didn't know where else to post this, so if there's a better 'location', please feel free to move this thread and shoot me an email telling me where it went. :)

So, I have an RC10GT and I'm TRYING to find a starter box at my LHS but all they carry is OFNA stuff... it seems that the 10GT has just about gone the way of the dinosaur and no one carries parts for them anymore... so I've gone through two different OFNA boxes at my LHS employee's suggestion and neither of which have worked.. the first one was for 1/10 scale but the flywheel wasn't anywhere near the starter wheel if I didn't hold the car off the side of the box, which made the box pretty ineffective for using the standout posts for alignment....
Attempt #2 was a 1/8 scale OFNA box which left the chassis more centered and I could mount the standouts BUT the drive wheel is so large that it barely fits through the cut-out in my chassis... grrr..

I wasted a combined hour and a half "building" these damned boxes (unassembled out of the box) and 2 hours in travel time because the freakin guy behind the counter is making guesses.... *sigh*

So... if I HAVE to order an Associated Starter Box online, I will, but if anyone can help me with information of any other box that might be sold locally that will definitely work for me, I'd like to walk into my LHS armed with knowledge.

Thanks guys, love the site, it seems to be a wealth of info.
-brady

I'm definitely interested. Does it work well with the 10GT, being "manufacturer specific" and all?

Thanks for the heads up and get back to me at your convenience.
-brady

Cool then, if it's got all the standard stand-out posts and whatnot that came with it, I'm interested. Can paypal you tomorrow if you like.

Very cool. Let me take this freakin OFNA back to the LHS (if I can get through this ice storm) and I'll let you know when I've paypal'ed you.
-brady

I have to give my LHS some respect.. I went BACK with the OFNA 1/8 scale and set it on the counter with a pissed off thunk and said, "I'm returning this because, once again, I was pushed something over the counter that doesn't work for me". The guy that had been helping me apologized profusely and said he had very little experience with starter boxes (he's a pull start guy) and said he really thought one of the two he sold me would work. There was another guy behind the counter who pulled my other OFNA out from behind the counter (the one I had bought AND returned a couple days ago) and proceeded to WRENCH on this box until it was a very close fit to my GT and we determined that I can make it perfect with a dremel and a bit more elbow grease, BUT it works pretty damned well as it sits. I'm home and hating the rain/sleet right now because I got the GT running enough to play for a minute but it's too icy to really do anything.

Just giving a quick, public "Thanks" to the local Hobbytown for their efforts this time.

Lessen, I really appreciate your generous sales offer with your TA box. I fully expected to return the second OFNA to my LHS and I was going to turn around and purchase yours. I had no clue they'd actually try to make it right this time.. lol.

Thanks again ya'll.

Nope, but not TOO terribly far away. :)
Lexington, Ky.

They're kind of "jack of all trades, master of none", I suppose. While they may not be WELL versed on everything they carry, they seem to try really hard, which goes a long way with me.

Back