Twitching Losi

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCRONI19

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am running 2 New losi aftershocks. they are both starting to twitch and not resond to the radio. both have had about 3 tanks run through them past break-in. the steering servos and the break/gas servo is twitching. i have reset the controllers and changed the batteries on boths the car and transmitters. the transmitters are xxi transmitters, and are not on the same frequency. I am using all alkaline kirkland brand batteries. i am planning to change to the nicad battery packs eventuially but want to work out the kinks first. thanks any advice would be helpful

i believe so...how do i check?

A failsafe is an aftermarket electronic component that you can set to slow down or even stop a nitro rig in case of low batteries in either the receiver and/or transmitter or in case of radio interference. It installs between the throttle servo and the receiver. They do not come stock.

It sounds like you don't have 'em. They are the cheapest insurance you can get for your rigs.
I am not saying they will cure your problem but they will keep your rigs from running away under full power if the worst happens with your glitching problem.

Second question: What are you running for receiver batteries? "AA's" or a receiver pack?

aa batteries and no fall safes stock out of the box. but we are thinking of changing to a nicad 5 cell i have it no my jato.

OK. Firstly, get a failsafe. They run about $25 and are a must for any nitro rig. It will save you one day. If you think not check some of the run-away rig stories on here.

Secondly: Use the five cell receiver pack. The AA battery holder can let stray voltage into the system and can even ground out temporarily (just long enough to glitch). Also check your wiring from the pack to the receiver for any fraying or breaks (the breaks will be inside the shielding but you can tell where they are if you are careful). Keep your power on while checking so you will be able to tell by the glitching if you find a bad spot.

P.S. You may want to look into a HiMH pack, NiCd batteries build up a memory and will only hold so much of a charge unless they are fully discharged before charging. Plus, don't store a NiCd charged--discharge it fully always!

Last edited:
Keep in mind that alkalines can't deliver as much current as quickly as NiMH or even NiCAD cells can. The aftershock runs 3 servos plus the receiver. That's a lot of drain and alkalines just may not be able to cope with it.

I didn't notice a lot of difference with my LST but I only ran three tanks through it with the alkaline batteries in it anyway. A receiver battey is a must IMO. Good advice, olds!

I was dooing some more expiramenting today and found another RC car my brother had with the same servo controller..swapped them out and now his car has the problem so i obviously have a bad controller. I'm going to hit the store i purchased the car from and ask a few questions. thanks

Back