Turbo plugs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalib

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Can anyone tell me what is a turbo plug and how is it different than a regular glow plug. Is it worth buying? Does it make a noticeable difference?

Well, first off, you can't just buy a turbo plug and stick it in a standard button head (that's what the plug screws into) because it will not fit. The turbo plug is a larger diameter. The difference between a standard plug and a turbo is the design of how it fits in the head. When you screw a standard glow plug in, it may protrude down into the combustion chamber and create turbulence in the flow through the head which would reduce flow efficiency. A turbo plug and turbo button head is designed so that when the plug is screwed in, the bottom of the plug fits perfectly flush with the inside surface, and does not interfere with flow.

So, the cost of a regular glow plug (if you shop around) is around $3.

The price of the turbo plug is $6 to $9 each.

IMO...... save your money and stick with standard plugs because you're not going to see any difference in engine performance at all. I run two Novarossi .12 engines on my cars. One has a standard plug, the other a turbo and I don't think anyone could pick out which is which. To me, they both run the same. If we were racing and looking for every performance enhancement we could use, then I'd use the turbo. But for what we're doing, it's a waste of money.

Well, first off, you can't just buy a turbo plug and stick it in a standard button head (that's what the plug screws into) because it will not fit. The turbo plug is a larger diameter. The difference between a standard plug and a turbo is the design of how it fits in the head. When you screw a standard glow plug in, it may protrude down into the combustion chamber and create turbulence in the flow through the head which would reduce flow efficiency. A turbo plug and turbo button head is designed so that when the plug is screwed in, the bottom of the plug fits perfectly flush with the inside surface, and does not interfere with flow.

So, the cost of a regular glow plug (if you shop around) is around $3.

The price of the turbo plug is $6 to $9 each.

IMO...... save your money and stick with standard plugs because you're not going to see any difference in engine performance at all. I run two Novarossi .12 engines on my cars. One has a standard plug, the other a turbo and I don't think anyone could pick out which is which. To me, they both run the same. If we were racing and looking for every performance enhancement we could use, then I'd use the turbo. But for what we're doing, it's a waste of money.

Thanks Bro, good info.

The only difference that I have noticed is that with a turbo plug I don't have to worrie about that annoying copper ring.
But when I buy for my novarossi and werks engine I feel pain of $11.95 a pop.

Necro-threader has entered the room.

...... save your money and stick with standard plugs because you're not going to see any difference in engine performance at all. I run two Novarossi .12 engines on my cars. One has a standard plug, the other a turbo and I don't think anyone could pick out which is which. To me, they both run the same. If we were racing and looking for every performance enhancement we could use, then I'd use the turbo. But for what we're doing, it's a waste of money.

I disagree. I've seen guys on the internet saying that it's a huge leap forward from the standard plugs, "one of the best idles he has ever seen".

EDIT: I'm probably mistaking turbo glow plugs for Iridium glow plugs.

Well, there is no shortage of guys who think they know everything and everyone else is wrong but I guess if you read it on the internet,
then it has to be right!

Well, there is no shortage of guys who think they know everything and everyone else is wrong but I guess if you read it on the internet, then it has to be right!

Okay, let's calm down there, alright? Besides, why would that guy lie about it?

I don't know the difference in performance & reliablilty ,But I do know ,if I had an extra turbo head laying around ,
I would have a bunch of turbo glow plugs to have to mess around with cheap on E-bay!...:p

All it takes is a simple head change!..... DUH......IDIOTS!...:deadhorse