Tuneing issues :[

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle_battle

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Outdoor temp: 30-35 degrees at the moment

It cuts out at wot w/ motor temp 215~ w/ Good low end and mid range
When i richen it up it bogs out when i gun it 3/4 throttle from stand still
But runs great at Wot w/ motor temp only around 175~

btw i dont wrap my motor

Whats the deal here? i just can't get this thing dialed in :[

high speed

Its the 3.0 that comes stock in the hpi firestorm

You are forgetting the #1 rule of engine tuning. Tune for performance with a good smoke trail, also listen to the engine for any signs of it being lean. Temps last.
if it runs fine at 175F, so be it. That is an acceptable running temp for the weather conditions.
Maybe put a thin sock on the cooling head or partially wrap it with tinfoil to bring up the temps if you want.
I see high end race engines running 180F all day long for gallons upon gallons.

You are forgetting the #1 rule of engine tuning. Tune for performance with a good smoke trail, also listen to the engine for any signs of it being lean. Temps last.
if it runs fine at 175F, so be it. That is an acceptable running temp for the weather conditions.
Maybe put a thin sock on the cooling head or partially wrap it with tinfoil to bring up the temps if you want.
I see high end race engines running 180F all day long for gallons upon gallons.

Hmm well alot of people just always said it depends on temps but since u put it that way i think mines just fine cuz there is a med-light strem of smoke comeing out at all times when throttle is in gauged but who is it kinda bogging out when i give it to it at low end? a little rich maybe?

Yea to much fuel going into the carb, maybe lean it out just a little

If it bogs on the low end with that cool of temps the LSN is rich. Your temps will come up when you lean it.

My motor the one day i was tuning it was acting up, really strange. It was idling weird, like it would randomly rev up and without touching any needles!!!

mine always acts crazy right before it runs out of fuel

:third_place:
mine always acts crazy right before it runs out of fuel

Mine was on almost full tank, it just didnt want to be tuned properly or something! Maybe it could be i didnt seal the carb to the motor, but its stock i would figure it would of been done by HPI

When I was first tuning my Firestorm I was getting all sorts of eradic results. It was idleing high, would speed up on its own, bogging all over the place. I ran the first tank through at idle, then 2 tanks at half throttle. Then babied it for another tank or two, not really going full throttle. After that I felt I was ready to tune. What I can tell you, from my experience, tuning the G3.0 is very easy and sensitive. I leaned my HSN (clockwise) less than 1/8th turn, probably closer to 1/16th turn.

I went further than that (almost full turn clockwise) but I kept bogging at WOT.

I was also bogging a little at idle when I would try to give it gas, I leaned the LSN out the tiniest bit as well. Everything is great now!! Thing does wheelies like nobodies business. Haven't had to touch it since, just fill it up and go! Short of the long is make small adjustments, it doesn't take much.

And the reason Nitro cars/trucks go crazy right when it runs out of gas is because for a second or two the engine begins to run lean. And the leaner you go, the more horsepower/performance you can get. The danger with going too lean though is you run at very high temps. High temps can destroy your engine very quickly.

Last edited:
Mine was idling wierd with a full tank, it just hates me, and i hate it right back!

I might just buy a new motor.

Set your needles back to factory setting and run it like that for a little bit then try tuning again

Hmm well my hs is deff pretty much on point because if i lean it any any farther it kills out at wot so it sounds like all it needs it a litte clockwize nudge on the ls and she will purr XD Thanks lots for the help everyone ill let you know the outcome sometime tomorrow or satarday whenever i get to play with it

i have a .21 sh engine and it runs good but i hav to keep on giving it a little gas. when i apply full break it runs for a sec and then it dies whats wrong

Take your air filter off and look at the carb then put the breaks on and look at it, it probably closes so u need to turn the little idle screw to the right just a little so it will open the carb more when you apply the breaks.

its dark

its dark now at my house i will try it in the morning and let u no what it does