Tuned Pipe cleaning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombomb

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My engine is out for work and I thought I'd get the tuned pipe looking clean.
Mineral spirits and nitro won't clean any baked on grime, do you guys use oven cleaner or paint stripper?
I don't want to use steel wool on aluminum if I can avoid it. What do you use?? Thanks!

Oh yea, Racer! You just reminded me; I have a spray can of "Gunk engine bright" engine cleaner in the ........I'm gonna try it....... be right back...........

wait right here.......

still there?.......... okay!

Last edited:
He LEFT????
Who gets tired of waiting?
Well the Gunk didn't work.... Buffing wheel sounds good! Gonna look for some brake cleaner first.... sounds like what I need!

Do me a favor and let me know if you spot any of your track buddies spraying their tuned pipe with PAM non-stick cooking spray before a race!

I knew a guy who sprayed his fish lures with WD-40 to bring in the fish by scent before he cast from his boat, and that's a BIG secret!!... yea,right! Fish love WD-40. I used to use WD-40 like a cologne... got tired of being surrounded by women who smelled like fish.

I'm thankful for spell check, or ROLEX would hound me all night long!!!!

I used to use WD-40 like a cologne... got tired of being surrounded by women who smelled like fish.

LMAO!!
You could try Lacquer thinner, or maybe Easy Off oven cleaner, but I've always used a buffer to clean it off the muffler of the big nitro heli. Finally I gave up and painted it US ARMY and let the muffler bake the oil without looking out of place.

I've used ez-off on my crank cases and it gets all the hardened/enameled stuff off the inside and outside of the crank case. You just have to let it sit a while, then scrub at it with a toothbrush.