Trying to Restore an Old Car but Stuck. (New to RC Cars...)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethD2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, guys.

So, I just joined these forums. Hopefully, this is the right place to ask my questions. I just received an RC car from my dad. Unfortunately, it has not been cleaned in a long time. I know there are some broken parts; however, it is old so I needed to find what the model, etc. is. Without the correct model, finding parts would become even more difficult. I can't seem to find the exact car online. Should be around 20 years old so its definitely discontinued. Can anyone help figure out which car it is exactly? (Its probably obvious, but I don't know much about RC cars yet). Everything I've googled has been similar but never exactly the same. Any tips/advice on how to clean it would also be appreciated.

273280529_1006483689903829_7483931303701978236_n.jpg

273457658_460831512362063_1397591951084954802_n.jpg

273184093_672425020462216_6272665163395549584_n.jpg

273198997_673566403825705_4028811777121972165_n.jpg

It's definitely an RS4, but to me it looks more like a super nitro. I'm basing this on the purple chassis, as well as the exhaust that exits out through the rear shock tower, and the .15 engine. It also appears in your photos to be longer than any of the other RS4s. If you can get me a wheelbase measurement that would easily confirm or eliminate it.
It could however be parts from both a Rs4 and a Rs4 2. The og Rs4 had a silver chassis, but the Rs4 2 had a purple chassis but had side exhaust.

Attachments

• 20130302_145617_zpsbf980149.jpg
    20130302_145617_zpsbf980149.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 55
Hey, guys.

So, I just joined these forums. Hopefully, this is the right place to ask my questions. I just received an RC car from my dad. Unfortunately, it has not been cleaned in a long time. I know there are some broken parts; however, it is old so I needed to find what the model, etc. is. Without the correct model, finding parts would become even more difficult. I can't seem to find the exact car online. Should be around 20 years old so its definitely discontinued. Can anyone help figure out which car it is exactly? (Its probably obvious, but I don't know much about RC cars yet). Everything I've googled has been similar but never exactly the same. Any tips/advice on how to clean it would also be appreciated.

View attachment 141761
View attachment 141760
View attachment 141759
View attachment 141762
Welcome to the asylum, as i like to say. That is an HPI RS4 Super Nitro, and, going by the pic on the manual, is the RTR Subaru rally version. Its one of the only two nitro cars i have ever owned long term, along with a Tamiya Blazin' Blazer. I never ran either one though.

Thanks for the help. It does look like a Super Nitro RS4. Now time to start hunting for parts 😂

Any advice on how to take it apart and clean it? Never personally done it before but it definitely needs it.

Thanks for the help. It does look like a Super Nitro RS4. Now time to start hunting for parts 😂

Any advice on how to take it apart and clean it? Never personally done it before but it definitely needs it.

If this is your first time tearing one down I would suggest taking pics as you go, that way you'll have references when you go to put it back together. Good luck finding a body, and if you do be prepared to drop some cash. Ebay will probably be your best bet for parts.

If this is your first time tearing one down I would suggest taking pics as you go, that way you'll have references when you go to put it back together. Good luck finding a body, and if you do be prepared to drop some cash. Ebay will probably be your best bet for parts.
I actually have two body shells already (if that is what you are referring to). They are old but would do the job. As far as I can tell, the parts that are bent/broken are small. So, hopefully they won’t be too expensive in comparison to other parts. 😂 I’ll definitely take pics, thanks lol

I actually have two body shells already (if that is what you are referring to). They are old but would do the job. As far as I can tell, the parts that are bent/broken are small. So, hopefully they won’t be too expensive in comparison to other parts. 😂 I’ll definitely take pics, thanks lol

Thats really good that you have bodies, they are going for about 200-250 bucks. Most of the parts for that car are quite rare, and therefore quite expensive. Good luck with the resto, post pics as you go, I love RS4s. I still have two myself, one RS4 3 rtr, and one RS4 3 evo.

Back