TRX4 Sport problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbgarry

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
As title, today i went to turn it on and got nothing but a green flashing light, no matter what i tried it wouldn't work, recalibration does not work, putting the ESC in to NiMH mode does not work.

Batteries are fully charged, i have tried 3 transmitters and 3 receivers and nothing, car hasn't even been out the house yet, ran about inside for no more than 10 mins and looks like the esc has crapped out.

I have followed the instruction on how to calibrate the esc, press and hold the EZ button till it goes red then let go, when the red blinks once pull the throttle back, i do this and nothing happens,.

What is Traxxas warranty like?

traxxas warranty is good id leave out the moving things around . check radio trims.try a few move recalibrates..

The motor works, however the throttle doesn't, if i turn right, the truck moves forward, if i turn left it moves back.
I have it working again, on my 3 ch flysky rec, i had to trim down the throttle a lot to get the motor to stop whining, but now when i press the button to turn the esc off, it doesn't turn off, i have to unplug the battery. i hate rc sometimes.

Last edited:
then you have your channels switched. Th is channel 2 ..steering is channel 1

As title, today i went to turn it on and got nothing but a green flashing light, no matter what i tried it wouldn't work, recalibration does not work, putting the ESC in to NiMH mode does not work.

Batteries are fully charged, i have tried 3 transmitters and 3 receivers and nothing, car hasn't even been out the house yet, ran about inside for no more than 10 mins and looks like the esc has crapped out.

I have followed the instruction on how to calibrate the esc, press and hold the EZ button till it goes red then let go, when the red blinks once pull the throttle back, i do this and nothing happens,.

My Defender's ESC crapped out only after a couple of months. I just replaced it with a time proven $40 programmable Hobbywing WP 1080.

The servo and throttle are in the correct slots, i did move them about to see if the throttle would move the steering and vice verse, to rul out the rec, at the time of moving with steering, all was plugged in correctly, i have it working to the point it steers fine, but after a few seconds of forward, it shuts down and i have no throttle, I've emailed the place i got it to see whats to happen.
Hobbywing WP 1080
That's my plan even if i get a replacement part under warranty, i plan to upgrade all the electrics anyway, just dissapointing that all in its been drove for 10 minutes or so, and its broken.

Make sure you radio trims are correct (as TNT said), is anything shorted out? Is the motor fully/properly connected to the ESC wires? Are you using a battery adapter, and if so it it good? Are your LiPos properly charged, and is your radio properly binded to the receiver (with no other inteference, like other radios that are on nearby)? Transmitter batteries are good/fresh? Go through these things, one by one, and let me know if one of them fixed it, or still no throttle. Do you have steering, or do you have no throttle or steering movement?

Make sure you radio trims are correct (as TNT said), is anything shorted out? Is the motor fully/properly connected to the ESC wires? Are you using a battery adapter, and if so it it good? Are your LiPos properly charged, and is your radio properly binded to the receiver (with no other inteference, like other radios that are on nearby)? Transmitter batteries are good/fresh? Go through these things, one by one, and let me know if one of them fixed it, or still no throttle. Do you have steering, or do you have no throttle or steering movement?
I reset all the trims and tried to do the calibration, the ESC won't let me do one, i get one flash for pull throttle back, the 2nd flash for push it forward never comes, all wires have been pulled apart, checked for fitment, and they are fine, no battery adaptor, I'm using the Traxxas batteries with their own ends match to the ESC, radio is bound ok, it had been working on the car fine until today, i even went back to the OEM Traxxas set up with the same ESC issues, i have full steering, trim adjusted to 55 so stop overworking the servo, throttle is set to 85 front, 65 rear, throttle works until i put a load on it, then nothing.

It had done this a few times, even with the OEM Traxxas REC and TRANS fitted, the car got delivered to me a week ago yesterday, and as i said, its not been out the house yet, I'm waiting on beadlock wheels and stuff to come, then i was going to start using it

I reset all the trims and tried to do the calibration, the ESC won't let me do one, i get one flash for pull throttle back, the 2nd flash for push it forward never comes, all wires have been pulled apart, checked for fitment, and they are fine, no battery adaptor, I'm using the Traxxas batteries with their own ends match to the ESC, radio is bound ok, it had been working on the car fine until today, i even went back to the OEM Traxxas set up with the same ESC issues, i have full steering, trim adjusted to 55 so stop overworking the servo, throttle is set to 85 front, 65 rear, throttle works until i put a load on it, then nothing.

It had done this a few times, even with the OEM Traxxas REC and TRANS fitted, the car got delivered to me a week ago yesterday, and as i said, its not been out the house yet, I'm waiting on beadlock wheels and stuff to come, then i was going to start using it
Oh, bummer. So I assume you already tried 100% throttle trim front and rear? Maybe try a new ESC? That what I can think of. Do you think a faulty motor might be the issue? I'm not familiar with TQI radios and their setups, try flipping through the entire manual and see if you can find anything of use there for the radio or ESC, and see if there's a troubleshooting section.

Oh, bummer. So I assume you already tried 100% throttle trim front and rear? Maybe try a new ESC? That what I can think of. Do you think a faulty motor might be the issue? I'm not familiar with TQI radios and their setups, try flipping through the entire manual and see if you can find anything of use there for the radio or ESC, and see if there's a troubleshooting section.
My TQI radio was the cheap no spec one you get with the sport, has nothing but steering trim, i fitted a FlySky 3ch rec and use a FlySky FS-GT3C, this has way more setting adjustment, all the trims were set back to 0, made no difference no matter what they were set at, steering servo wire and ESC wire were swapped about, this ruled out a bad rec, i have loads of stuff left over from my drone days, even tried another 6ch rec and another trans, still no joy, so looks like its the ESC thats not happy.

esc is no good call traxxas
I'm in the UK, would cost me more than the TRX to call them haha, I've spoken to the shop i got it from on Facebook, they said to email them my order number and list the issues, they will read over it tomorrow and give me a call to see what's happening, I'm binning all the Traxxas electrics anyway, will be ordering a Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 and most likely a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 27t motor.

I'm in the UK, would cost me more than the TRX to call them haha, I've spoken to the shop i got it from on Facebook, they said to email them my order number and list the issues, they will read over it tomorrow and give me a call to see what's happening, I'm binning all the Traxxas electrics anyway, will be ordering a Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 and most likely a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 27t motor.
I have alot of traxxas but the electronics suck.. you said you flipped things around just to see.. steering was throttle ND throttle was steering correct. Have you switched back. Beside calibrating did you bind the revciver and controller again.? I would bind it them calibrate it... but I would swapp out for the 1080 so. I might go with the new castle micro mamba still looking.

I have alot of traxxas but the electronics suck.. you said you flipped things around just to see.. steering was throttle ND throttle was steering correct. Have you switched back. Beside calibrating did you bind the revciver and controller again.? I would bind it them calibrate it... but I would swapp out for the 1080 so. I might go with the new castle micro mamba still looking.
Tried multiple times to recalibrate the ESC with 3 different receivers and transmitters, all failed to fix it, the ESC refuses to go in to calibration and NiMH mode, and it no longer turns off with the button confirms it's done, terrible on Traxxas's part that it's a day over a week old and broken already.

@Arbgarry Sorry to hear about the trouble, apparently it's an unwritten rule that if you buy Traxxas you should pick up an ESC at the same time. 🤔
I usually change any electronic that has the traxxas name on it..the kits are nice but their electronics department needs a over haul.. from ground up..they have sucked since the 80s - 90s. It's sad really need to spend more time and energy on new R%D with their electronics for sure
I don't have much luck with Traxxas esc either. I use HW 1080 on all of my crawlers.
Well except for that red annoying little chit that crawls all over my train table...:p
That little red bastard sounds like he going to cause a derailment one day 😉🤣🤣🤣

@Arbgarry Sorry to hear about the trouble, apparently it's an unwritten rule that if you buy Traxxas you should pick up an ESC at the same time. 🤔
Seems so, i will see what route the shop wants to go, hopefully they will do a deal and send me a 1080, its £40.27 from them, the xl5 thats in is £77, so ill see if i can get a new motor to :cool:

The shop got back to me, asked me to film a short video showing what's happening, set the phone up on a tripod, switched the car on, steering but no throttle, showed the ESC won't switch off now, unplugged the battery, plugged it back in and showed me calibrating the ESC, can see 1 red flash for trigger pull, but no 2nd red for trigger push, showed no throttle.

Will wait and see what happens now.

The shop got back to me, asked me to film a short video showing what's happening, set the phone up on a tripod, switched the car on, steering but no throttle, showed the ESC won't switch off now, unplugged the battery, plugged it back in and showed me calibrating the ESC, can see 1 red flash for trigger pull, but no 2nd red for trigger push, showed no throttle.

Will wait and see what happens now.
Yeah they always ask for that.. I hope the get it fixed. They will most likely swap it for new. They should really