TRX 3.3 Dyno Results:

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm....I would have thought it would have a bit more than that....but still a decent mill. In my Jato

99% of engines make about that amount of horsepower. That is a true HP reading, not the manufactuer's B.S. selling gimmick.
VERY few engines hit the 2 h.p. mark.
The torque rating is a very important deciding factor as well.

That dyno result was a mis-print. They have dynoed the engine in the .9 HP range in the past.

This is the highest dyno pull that I personally got on MY X-Dyno when I last dyno tested the TRX 3.3 STOCK with the Traxxas Resonator pipe.

TRX33stockdyno.jpg

I remember when it first came out and XRC dyno'd it, was around 1.2hp which was really close to the OS18TZ which was at 1.1hp. It seems each time they dyno a 3.3 for their new rig from traxxas that it's in, the hp keeps going up...

All of there dynos are getting higher and higher... Something has to be up with there settings in the dyno as i have tested many engines they have tested recently and they CONSISTANTLY get them alot higher then i do with the same pipe sets of course and in stock form... I have been in contact with the inventor/maker of the X-Dyno Brian Kinney "hes a friend of mine" and have had my dyno all gone through to make sure that I didnt have a setting off in MY dyno for it to read low. It's just theres is reading VERY high lately for some reason.

They have dynoed the TRX 3.3 and got .9s HP in the past is right on with what I got on the highest pull in stock form. When Brian Kinney was doing there dyno testing the engines were spot on to what I get on my dyno!! Now there way off... :\

It's too bad... One thing that's nice about a dyno, that regardless what different manufacturers stick on their box saying what their engines put out, taking all the engines and testing them on the same dyno really lets you see how they compare.

Now that the RC411 X-dyno appears to be exaggerating the numbers with what appears to be direct relation to the almighty advertising dollar... the comparisons aren't any good.

It really sucks. That's part of what made me like the RC411 mag. Consistency and what appeared to be truth. At least they still have chicks!

Glad to see AB mods on here! Anybody wants a killer engine mod, talk to him.
I may be sending my next race mill to him. Still have to decide what i want first.

ever test a .21 picco max ?

Havent tested a 21 Max... But I have tested the 26 max. I'm not going to try and advertise my business here as I'm not a paying sponsor as I'm not sure how that works around here as I'm new, and I dont want to over do my welcome so to speak :) But I can give u a dyno result of a stock 26max and a pipe comparison I did.

From my testing before I got my X-Dyno I knew the 053 pipe was a GREAT pipeset for the 26max and was my pipe of choice on the mill, modified AND stock. I seen everyone running the rear pipe sets such as the trinity which was at the time the most popular pipe set for the revo. And the Trinity does improve power over the stock TRX pipe. So I tested a Trinity pipe up against a 053 side pipe. Here are the results with the 053 coming out ahead as I knew it would from my in car testing. But its always VERY nice to see at exactly what RPM and the whole entire power curve of the engine. This gives you SO MUCH more insight to what is really going on. Needless to say the dyno has greatly help me improve my engines over the past couple years that i have owned it!!

StockPicco26maxTrinityVs9853pipe-1.jpg

It's too bad... One thing that's nice about a dyno, that regardless what different manufacturers stick on their box saying what their engines put out, taking all the engines and testing them on the same dyno really lets you see how they compare.

Now that the RC411 X-dyno appears to be exaggerating the numbers with what appears to be direct relation to the almighty advertising dollar... the comparisons aren't any good.

It really sucks. That's part of what made me like the RC411 mag. Consistency and what appeared to be truth. At least they still have chicks!

Well one thing about my dyno charts is that you can trust them 100%!! I have went to great lengths to make sure my dyno is ran 100% the way it was setup to be ran by Brian Kinney himself. I have even done a test for Brian for the XRC mag in the past when they had an engine fail on them :) I have no brand loyalty and deffinatly dont get paid to do any of my testing thats for sure. Wish I did get paid to do testing though.. would be nice and ALOT cheaper :hehe:

Last edited:
I'm sure i speak for most of us=glad your here man!

You have any dyno pulls with the THS Revo pipe? I reallly liked that pipe on my old Revo.
I got a lot of confused/floored looks from other racers when they found out I was running a bone stock 3.3 engine with the THS Hard Anno pipe.

You have any dyno pulls with the THS Revo pipe? I reallly liked that pipe on my old Revo.
I got a lot of confused/floored looks from other racers when they found out I was running a bone stock 3.3 engine with the THS Hard Anno pipe.

I dont have any dyno sheets on hand with the THS. But i do have 1st hand experience with it in a revo on the 3.3 and the 18TZ mills. It was a pretty good pipe. I would be curious to see what kind of power it makes compared to some of the other popular Revo bolt on pipes.

Welcome to RCN Adam! Thanks for the dyno pulls you posted.That covers the 3.3 and the Picco Max,how about an OS .21TM or an RB TM523?How does an OS .21 V spec look?

The Vspecs dyno'd 1.47 HP stock and 62TQ and drops down below 1HP by 40,000RPM. They did a layover in the XRC magazine article I was featured in with the charts layed over eachother. I dont have those charts anymore unfortunatly. BUT... Here is the magazine article with a stock Vspec dyno graph layed over my AB Modified Vspec dyno graph so you can see the comparison. They made a typo on here.. the "dark blue" which is TQ and "green" which is HP lines are my dyno graph. Not the "Red" HP line. Thats the stock Vspec. If you look at the graphs and the data boxes to the top right that tells you which engines is which OR just read the article you will be able to see the typo they made. :)

abscan1-1.jpg

abscan2.jpg

And for reference this is a Stage 2 Vspec I dyno tested about a month ago. I have got the HP to hold at 1.5HP by 40,000RPM! The Vspec is an absolute moster when done up right. And it gets GREAT fuel economy to go with it!!

VspecABMods176HP.jpg

PS. If there is a problem with me posting these dyno results just LMK. Thanks

They made a typo on here.. the "dark blue" which is TQ and "green" which is HP lines are my dyno graph. Not the "Red" HP line. Thats the stock Vspec.

I read that article and thought what the heck this must be a typo or I am an idiot or both :)

Looks like you worked some magic on the V spec for sure.If I send you a .21TM for mods do I get a before and after dyno sheet back with it?

I have a million questions for you so hey thanks for the quick reposne.
Keep the dyno results flowing man :goodpost:

PS. If there is a problem with me posting these dyno results just LMK. Thanks

How does the 3.3 responde to a little messaging and have you noticed early rear bearing failer in these engines and if so what a best replacements.

I only dyno my own engines for R&D purposes. Dynoing others engines is just too much of a liability for me as a small company which is the main reason I dont dyno engines for customers. The other, among more reasons is that the engine needs a good gallon of fuel on it before it can get a good accurate dyno pull. When the engine is still tight that metal pinch holds the power back and doesn't let u get a good aggressive tune on the mill to see its full potential. With the engine still having the metal pinch "AKA still being tight as some say" also runs a much higher risk of damaging the engine during a dyno pull.

Here I will show you a modified TRX 3.3 layed over the BEST STOCK pull I could manage with a 3.3 to date. I have alot of 3.3 pulls on my dyno that are low .9s to high .8s but the .98 HP is the best I managed to get.... So i used it as my baseline. I have found with my 3.3 testing that the TRX resonator pipe that I base line tested the 3.3 with is a restrictive pipe.... it works good as far as fuel consumption but holds back the power of the engine when more aggressive timing profiles are introduced on a modified engine. But for comparison here is a test of a 3.3 on the TRX resonator pipe that comes on a revo. As you can see the gains are from bottom to top... but the pipe is choking its extra potential out. I have also tested the trinity pipe and it made a decent increase in power over the Resonator pipe and there are deffinatly better pipes then the trinity out for the 3.3. its honestly not the best design but does give some decent punch and a LOUD roar!! And I do believe i still have those dyno charts... But i will have to dig and find them.. If I had the time and a 3.3 ready to go here I would really like to test a 3.3 on the blue revo pipe with the stinger drilled 1/4 inch. That pipe seems to work very well in car. Would like to see what the raw #s are on the dyno with it.

TRX33stockVsMod.jpg

Just out of curiosity... what's the highest HP engine you've run on your dyno? That one is almost 2! I haven't seen many (if any) actually hit 2.

What's your favorite engine to run, modify or both?